Spice Infused Shea Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblefan

Reaction score
Juicybath's lovely pumpkin spice soap has inspired me to make some myself. I love the idea of scenting with inexpensive spices! Since shea butter doesn't saponify, I'm wondering if infusing the spices in the shea will encourage the scent to be stronger. Has anyone tried this?

I'm getting mixed results from google. Some sources say yes, some no, & one says a fraction of the shea is unsaponifiable.

I read that shea doesn't saponify in a soaping book a while back, and never researched it any more than that.

Shea butter has a SAP of .128 that tells you how much lye is needed to saponify 1 ounce of it . If it didn't saponify why does it have a SAP value ? I have to believe that it does saponify .I have never heard that it doesn't saponify before. Interesting .

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Unsaponifiable

http://rms1.agsearch.agropedia.affrc.go.jp/contents/JASI/pdf/academy/55-1984.pdf

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO= ... SPLAY=DESC

From the last link:

The high levels of stearyl and oleyl groups in shea butter and its ditnethicone copolyol derivatives make them of particular interest in the personal care industry. While other raw materials used in personal care products have these species, the compounds of the present invention have significantly high concentrations of unsaponifiables, which posses highly desired antioxidant, ultra-violet radiation protection, and free-radical scavenging properties. MPSB of the present invention typically contain from about 5% to about 15% by weight of unsaponifiables. In contrast, other butters commonly used in personal care products have less than 2% unsaponifiables. For example, coca butter (from Theobroma cacao) averages 0.4% unsaponifiables and Illipe butter (from Shorea stenopterd) averages 1.1%

I have always been led to believe that shea butter has a certain level of unsaponifiable fatty acids in it.
Having said that, I don't care for it much in soap.

As for the spiced aspect of it, I think I'd be a little concerned if there is cinnamon in it. I've read that can be an irritant and I've noticed from several of the FO websites that many FO's with cinnamon in them are listed as not being skin safe. That alone causes me to hesitate.

True, a skin irritating soap wouldn't be the nicest gift to receive. Actually it looks like cinnamon, clove, and ginger are all potentially irritating. I LOVE the pumpkin pie spice smell though.

I may try a small batch for personal use, just to see...

Tess...thanks for the links!

Cinnamon can be potential irritating. My book says: do not use in consentration over 0,5%

I`am thinking about using it in a soap, but Ill make sure it is a small amount, and that it is tested befor selling.

Alvonia: What book do you have that indicates percentaages of eo use? I have three different books and I can't seem to find a section that gives this information, although it may be there and I just haven't found it yet. If not though, I am interested in going out and buying a copy of what you have.

Bnky said:
Alvonia: What book do you have that indicates percentaages of eo use? I have three different books and I can't seem to find a section that gives this information, although it may be there and I just haven't found it yet. If not though, I am interested in going out and buying a copy of what you have.

My book are from Susan Curtis, I havent found one exactly like it but i do belive it is this one from Neals Yard remedies: http://shop.nealsyardremedies.com/produ ... _Oils_Book
Its the same content - but mine is from 1998, and is written in norwegian.
It says safetyinformation on the bottom of the page of every EO`s, and in some of them - probably the most toxic one, it says percentages.

bubblefan said:
Juicybath's lovely pumpkin spice soap has inspired me to make some myself. I love the idea of scenting with inexpensive spices! Since shea butter doesn't saponify, I'm wondering if infusing the spices in the shea will encourage the scent to be stronger. Has anyone tried this?

It won't matter where you infuse the spices,they still have to meet old Mr Lye Monster.Unless you HP & add at end of cook.
Shea has a high level of unsaponifiables,which means a proportion of it won't be saponified-most of it will.
Beware ground spices/herbs in soap-they can be real scratchy in the finished product,even if finely ground(I grind then sift in a fine sifter,& they're still a bit ouchy! :shock: )

A word on Eo's.....the list of DO NOT USE includes lavender,lemongrass,mint,cinnamon,clove,ginger,all citrus &on&on&on.Lavender EO is one of the most commonly used for soap! You have to use commonsense. Obviously you won't use as much cinnamon as you would lemongrass.Cinnamon leaf eo is the one used in soap/B&B.Once again,comes down to research research research-knowing how much,likely sensitivities,who shouldn't use etc.
:wink:

gekko
why would lemgrass be a no for soap, never heard of that. I use it all the time with no problems.

honor435 said:
gekko
why would lemgrass be a no for soap, never heard of that. I use it all the time with no problems.

Exactly! Someone somewhere must've had a reaction,who knows! But 99.99% don't! Perhaps that list was compiled by FO manufacturers! :lol:
I use lemongrass all the time,& lav,orange,cinnamon,even clove in very small amts.(If I used 6.25%(1oz ppo) you betcha there'd be problems!)
It's the same with shea,& nut oils,even CO.Some folk DO have problems with those,but if we list our ing,then people can choose for themselves. :)

all i could is that if the lemongrass has a high citral count(how would we know) that could be an irritant to someone that has sens skin, and not to use if they have a skin prob(duh), i use this strait on my skin! never had a prob, and it keeps bugs away!!! :lol: maybe i wont use in my lotion bars? or get a fo lemongrass, jic?

honor435 said:
all i could is that if the lemongrass has a high citral count(how would we know) that could be an irritant to someone that has sens skin, and not to use if they have a skin prob(duh), i use this strait on my skin! never had a prob, and it keeps bugs away!!! :lol: maybe i wont use in my lotion bars? or get a fo lemongrass, jic?

So much panic-mongering goes on it pays to not take things at face value eh? I didn't even bookmark that EO list,most of the oils on it are commonly used,& seeing as I know some of it isn't true,I don't trust any of the rest of it.Prefer to check for myself.
All I could find is that LG could irritate a sensitive skin,not to use on broken skin(duh!),& avoid during pregnancy because it's a potential skin irritant.So that's basically one peice of information stated 3 different ways...
Lemongrass is one of my most popular scents,no issues with it,& it's so fresh and zingy and yummy! :)

Latest posts

Back