Sour milk soap???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
I was on the internet, and was reading and article about someone making soap out of sour milk..
They said the sodium lactate ( think it was) made an incredibly hard bar of soap. Anyone ever try sour milk soap?? or would it be very similar to using yogurt?
If so does it smell bad after saponification? or does the heat from the saponification heat actually pasterise everything and kill the smell??
Would love to hear from anyone actually trying it...

I have used badly soured heavy cream in soap, the finished soap doesn't smell sour at all..

I use buttermilk all the time. People tell me they add lemon juice to milk to make their own buttermilk. That sounds like curdled sour milk to me, and buttermilk is wonderful in soap :)

Ditto to paillo, though I use vinegar when I need to sour milk for cooking (pancakes!). But for soapmaking I actually go out and buy buttermilk...then make pancakes with the leftovers! My girls love pancakes! I make a buttermilk bastille for my daugthers and it's a great soap.

Milk soured with vinegar is not the same as buttermilk or yogurt. The acid in vinegar-soured milk is acetic acid. The acid in yogurt or buttermilk is lactic acid. Lactic acid + NaOH = sodium lactate. Acetic acid + NaOH = sodium acetate. Not the same critter.

I agree Dianna, it is best to buy buttermilk or use spoiled milk or cream etc.

Do any of you notice any differences in the finished soap than from fresh milk?
More conditioning, harder bar, less cleansing etc, More healing for delicate skin?
any comments would be appreciated...
thanks..:lol:

Back