Solid or semi solid oils in gallon bottles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamaT

Reaction score
I bought some PKO and PO in gallon bottles, since these are solid how do I get it out of the bottles? Do I put the bottles in hot water to melt it so it will pour out? Do I have to melt the whole bottle or get it warm enough to get out what I need? Will melting the oil several times hurt the oil?

Do I put the bottles in hot water to melt it so it will pour out?

That's what I do, then I use 4lb lard buckets with a lid to store it in so I can just scoop it out next time :)

For solid oils, I transfer them to buckets too, but don't bother melting - actually I stick it in the fridge for a couple of days to make sure it's all nice and solid and then I cut the container apart, chunk it up, and put it in the bucket.

carebear said:
For solid oils, I transfer them to buckets too, but don't bother melting - actually I stick it in the fridge for a couple of days to make sure it's all nice and solid and then I cut the container apart, chunk it up, and put it in the bucket.

Oh good idea, never thought to just stuff it in the fridge !

mamaT said:
I bought some PKO and PO in gallon bottles, since these are solid how do I get it out of the bottles? Do I put the bottles in hot water to melt it so it will pour out? Do I have to melt the whole bottle or get it warm enough to get out what I need? Will melting the oil several times hurt the oil?

i just take a long spoon and scoop right out, its kinda hard to get the last bit, but then put in hot water.

I was just putting the conainer in a hot water bath and then pouring but got tired of that and cut the top off and covered it with plastic wrap.

Back