Soft soap issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psalm 23

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask and see if any of you know what the problem is with my soap. It's been a week or so and it's still pretty soft. It's just not what I'm used to.
So here's the recipe
15oz coconnut
36oz Olive
35oz lard
32 oz milk
11.7 oz lye
It's pretty simple but I wasn't sure if maybe I have too much Olive and not enough coconut or something.
I would really appriciate any help!

Did you run through soap calc? i got 11.9 lye, liquid ok, i always use less liquid than asked for, hardens quicker. have you used this recipe before? it is very low cleansing and bubbles, just wondered if you like it? add some castor maybe, it really adds bubbles.

just give it time :) next time try a 30% lye solution or even stronger if you are not doing anything fancy. Maybe 33%. Less water is better when working with higher levels of olive oil.

As long as the oils didn't separate out, and you measured accurately then there is nothing to worry about.

(I think your formula looks like a lovely, mild one more to the "dense lather" side than the big bubbles).

I didn't run it thru a calculator to check your lye, tho.

Thanks! I think I'll try doing a little less milk today and see what happens :D Might up it on the lye and go to 11.9 too.

I have used this soap before, and I do like it...I guess I don't know what it would be like to have a more bubbly soap, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing? It has really thick and creamy lather.

Latest posts

Back