Sodium Hydroxide check

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leke

Reaction score
Hi, Soap making noob here.

I've been hunting for supplies and emailed a local hardware retailer about sodium hydroxide supplies.
They responded saying they have a product which contains 98-100% sodium hydroxide. On the label, it says the product is for 'opening sewer drains'.

Will this be ok for making my soap?

Thanks in advance.

brnicholas said:
That's the stuff. But we prefer food grade because it has much less impurities, or at least that's what they say.

Br Nicholas
Thanks Nicholas :)
Can you think of any type of general public establishments that might sell the food grade stuff, or is the only way to get it online (fears postage charges)?

I don't use food grade. I am considering switching because I want to speak to the fact that all my ingredients in some soap are safe enough to eat (kinda). It is not that much more expensive from suppliers.

Buying locally is challenging, but some ethnic groups use it in food preparation/preserving. I cannot, of course, think of which - maybe Norwegians for some fish? Just a guess. And it can be used to make pretzels shiny - so maybe a local bagel shop/bakery?

jadiebugs1 said:
I don't know where you're from, but I can buy some locally at Lowes or Tractor Supply. Roebic(sp?) brand in a 2lb. container for about $8-10.
Reading the previous posts, it looks like you all are fairly impartial to the grade of your lye, so I won't sweat the brand so much.
I'm from Finland and there is not a huge amount of businesses to select from. The one I've been quoted from the hardware store (Bauhaus) is 5.50 euros for 500g ($7.40 for 1.1lbs if professor Frink is correct).

Here in Canada I can get Sodium Hydroxide from Home Hardware stores. It is nice because I get can pick it up locally. Thankfully I haven't yet had to try getting it shipped to me.

I remember Bauhaus when I used to live in Germany...memories......
I get mine from Menards 4.69 for 16 oz.

soapbuddy said:
I buy whichever one is cheaper; whether food grade, lab grade or regular grade. I also buy mine in 50 lb. bags.
\
Wow, where are you able to buy it it 50 lb bags?

I brought a 25kg bag from a chemical supply company called 'Jasol' its an Australian company, but they have shops in New Zealand and Asia.

I was buying it from another supplier for $10 per kg, but got this lot for $45. All the other lye that I tried to purchase locally had other bits in it. This stuff is 99% pure - and I think it will last me a life time :lol:

2 lbs. for $8.00 is .25 per oz. and 16 oz. for 4.69 is .29 per oz. We just bought 32 lbs. of food grade sodium hydroxide from Essential Depot for $45.89 plus 23.15 for shipping. Total $69.04. 32 lbs. is 512 oz. Divide $69.04 by 512 and our cost is .13 per ounce including shipping. This comes in 16 plastic bottles of 2 pounds each that can be resealed. I just looked at our invoices from Camden-Gray and they come to .16 per ounce including shipping. I prefer to have a bunch of 2 lb. containers because we have terrible humidity in Mississippi and I don't have to open them until needed. I used almost a pound per day and this way it is always dry.

Br Nicholas

Call around to local chemical supply companies. Most have sodium hydroxide. You may need a business license to purchase large quantities and they will take down your info... from your legal picture ID ... in the US. It's becoming more controlled due to crystal meth manufacturers.

You can also get lots of other things in large quantites... citric acid (do NOT transport with NaOH0, baking soda, pumice.

Latest posts

Back