Soapy Sadness

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlm884

Reaction score
Today I went to check on all my soap. I noticed that I had DOS on 5 bars all from the same batch. It is an FO I have never used before and for the life of me I can't remember what I put in it for oils. I was super sad. I suppose these bars are garbage now. I separated them from the rest of the bars in case spreading or something happens.

Hm, I remember what it was! It was my first batch of soap without lard in it, I used palm instead. The difference between palm and storebought lard? Storebought lard has BHT in it, which shown in the Caveman papers prevents DOS.

Palm, Olive, Coconut, Castor and Walnut

I know the Castor was at 5% and the Walnut was at 5% and the superfat was 5%

tlm884 said:
Today I went to check on all my soap. I noticed that I had DOS on 5 bars all from the same batch. It is an FO I have never used before and for the life of me I can't remember what I put in it for oils. I was super sad. I suppose these bars are garbage now. I separated them from the rest of the bars in case spreading or something happens.

I'm sorry about that. I wouldn't consider your bars garbage though. I definitely wouldn't give them out, but you should be able to use them. I've had to use DOS soaps in the past and never suffered any ill affects from them.

John

Can soap only a week old really get DOS? I thought that was something that showed up months down the road??

I use two basic recipes, the only difference being one has 40% lard and the other has 40% palm. Neither have caused me any DOS issues, especially with soap that "young." The one time I did have a DOS problem, it was because pockets of coconut oil were not melted properly for Nizzy's whipped soap.

Cristy said:
Can soap only a week old really get DOS? I thought that was something that showed up months down the road??
My first two batches both had DOS within three days, I was using tap water.

I wouldn't trash the soaps. You could cut off DOS and rebatch for yourself, or since only a week and few days old, once cured, you could use it for yourself. As long as they don't smell off. I've used DOS soaps before and suffered no ill-effects.

Latest posts

Back