Soap with petals question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapfanbaby

Reaction score
Did you try soap with petals mixed? The one like brambleberry teaches “Make Sunshine Soap with Orange and Calendula”? It looks pretty. I have some dried calendula petals home and thinking about trying it. Just wondering if petals can clog shower/bathtub drain? Just wanted to ask first before I do it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've used calendula petals in my soap and never had issues with clogged drains. Some petals like rose will turn brown but calendula stays a nice pretty yellow.

I just made a batch a month ago and it looks good so far. Cutting was a little challenging because my normal soap cutter does not have a knife edge. I had to keep trying different knives to see what would cut through the petals. It came out nice. I infused the oil in petals first for added benefits. (If there are any lol!) it was a fun soap to make!

Last edited:
Something else I've done after infusing the oil with the petals is to run the whole mess through a bullet blender to break up the petal pieces. They are still big but small enough that its easier to cut the soap and you don't have long petals dangling off the soap.

Obsidian, I was thinking about that. I agree it would be better to break the petals to smaller pieces. Did you mix your soap with petals you used to infuse oils?

I saw BB's blog post on that recipe and thought it looked amazing! Please post pics when you're done - I'd love to see how it turns out.

One thing I didn't understand on the BB tutorial, though... The finished product looked really cool when she did it in the vertical mold, but since it's just two halves, couldn't the same effect be achieved with a regular horizontal mold? It seemed like it would be easier and just as beautiful that way. Did I miss something? Just always trying to work "smarter not harder!" LOL

Obsidian, I was thinking about that. I agree it would be better to break the petals to smaller pieces. Did you mix your soap with petals you used to infuse oils?

Yes, I mixed the petals that had been infused into my soap. Why waste them when they work great in the soap. If you

I saw BB's blog post on that recipe and thought it looked amazing! Please post pics when you're done - I'd love to see how it turns out.

One thing I didn't understand on the BB tutorial, though... The finished product looked really cool when she did it in the vertical mold, but since it's just two halves, couldn't the same effect be achieved with a regular horizontal mold? It seemed like it would be easier and just as beautiful that way. Did I miss something? Just always trying to work "smarter not harder!" LOL

yes, you can do this in a horizontal mold. You will just have to make sure that the consistency is think enough that you will have an even line between the layers. You can pour the second layer over the blade of a spatula so it goes into the mold more slowly and with greater control. It won't come out as perfectly straight but it should still work OK.

Sure, I will post the pics.
Regarding mold...I like the way BB did. I do not have much choice with molds yet, but thinking about other pattern, we'll see...

Yes, I mixed the petals that had been infused into my soap. Why waste them when they work great in the soap. If you

True. They look so nice in my oil - I am already infusing them. I will reuse them too. It is good to know it worked. Thanks!

Here is the lemongrass soap I made with calendula blended up in the oils.

jqq88i.jpg

Not sure if she'll see this but IrishLass has made one that is absolutely beautiful.
The great thing about Calendula petals is that they don't turn an ugly brown in soap like most botanical's do.

Back