Soap with 100% canola oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribbeaness

Reaction score
Heya everyone!🥰
Just wondering, has anyone made a batch of soap with 100% canola oil? I attempted it on Friday and it’s still in the mold (I just used a milk box) and it’s still soft at the top mostly. Have you tried this? How did it work out for you?

The highest I've gone with canola - not even the high oleic one - was 75% and it was soft and sticky for quite some time... But I really liked the lather (personal preference). It also started getting orange spots at around 6mos I think....

I did a 50% that lasted a bit longer without the DOS. Still took a bit more time to harden, but was less sticky. Still liked the lather. This is all compared to a well balanced recipe and to my high RBO soap (it's becoming my benchmark lol).

I recently did one with 20% but obviously, too soon to tell....

If you used HO Canola if does not make a nice single oil soap and regular Canola as a single oil soap will go Dossy pretty quickly. Although regular Canola at 20% has never given me problems.

Other single Oils I have tested are SAO which is as snotty as OO is not more so with 0 lather unless you use a lot of water after rubbing the snotty soap on your hands applying more water then working up the lather. The same applies to 100% Avocado oil. While my hands are drying after using the SAO soap they feel sticky then after drying they are a tad dry. After using the Avocado soap my hands do feel nice, but within a year I find the 100% AVO soap went dossy with 2% superfat.

Last edited:
If you used HO Canola if does not make a nice single oil soap and regular Canola as a single oil soap will go Dossy pretty quickly. Although regular Canola at 20% has never given me problems.

Other single Oils I have tested are SAO which is as snotty as OO is not more so with 0 lather unless you use a lot of water after rubbing the snotty soap on your hands applying more water then working up the lather. The same applies to 100% Avocado oil. While my hands are drying after using the SAO soap they feel sticky then after drying they are a tad dry. After using the Avocado soap my hands do feel nice, but within a year I find the 100% AVO soap went dossy with 2% superfat.
What is meant by "dossy"? I have a friend currently testing 100% avocado oil soaps and so far she loves them.

It actually makes a really nice liquid soap, if you wanted to venture into the liquid soap realm (if you haven't yet)

Back