Soap in Freezing temperatures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunny1

Reaction score
Is it okay to leave cold process milk soap overnight in a car during freezing temperatures? Will it harm or change the soap any way?

You're fine! I'm going to presume it's out of the mold, and now a bar of soap.

In really extreme cold temperatures, some surface cracking may occur on fresh soap. I've never seen it happen on cured soap, but I also live in Pennsylvania, not Canada, and our idea of cold is really not that bad.

Source: I left soap in my car outside in January for a week once...

This was so timely. I just love you guys! I've got 79 bars sitting in the car (making a delivery this evening) and it's like 20 degrees out. I'm sure each of those bars are frozen solid. I was hoping it would be ok. :)

As for freshly poured soap, saponification will slow down quite a bit, so it'll need a slightly longer cure once it's back at room temp.

For any fairly young soap - after removing from the freezing temperature, you may notice it sweats as it returns to normal temperature. So it may become a bit wet, but once it's left with good airflow it'll be fine.

This was so timely. I just love you guys! I've got 79 bars sitting in the car (making a delivery this evening) and it's like 20 degrees out. I'm sure each of those bars are frozen solid. I was hoping it would be ok. :)

I would make sure these are unwrapped and sat out so they can thaw with good airflow.

toxicon mentioned the first thing I thought about which was the soap sweating as it was brought back into a warm house. Be careful, this could get messy.

I usually pop my milk soap into the freezer after pouring. This prevents it from gelling if I leave it for several days. I have noticed that I sometimes have a partial gel if I remove it from the freezer too soon. The soap does sweat after it is removed from the freezer; but I place it on parchment paper and wipe off the moisture. It is fine as soon as soon as it is warmed to room temp.

I freeze my HP soap and it gets condensation when I take it out. I've wondered if warming it in the fridge would help.

I freeze my HP soap and it gets condensation when I take it out. I've wondered if warming it in the fridge would help.

Anywhere where the dew point is below the temperature of the soap will keep condensation from forming.

Or you can close it in a bag (trash bag for larger trays and loafs!) and seal it closed until the temperature equalizes. Only the moisture inside the bag can condense on the soap, after that, the air is dry, and the soap will dry off quickly when you take it out.

Back