Small oil quantities question.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twiggy

Reaction score
Hi there! I’m trying to formulate a recipe with hemp oil. And the most suitable for me, according to soap calc would be if I would add 5% of hemp oil. Otherwise all numbers are messed up badly – long story! Never mind :) The main question is, do you think that it makes sense to use such a small amount of oil? It will be very little of oil per bar…

Yeah, it makes sense. Many of my recipes have small quantities of certain oils. You could also use the hemp for superfat in HP.

Yeah, it makes sense. Many of my recipes have small quantities of certain oils. You could also use the hemp for superfat in HP.

Thank you for answer :) I’m not familiar with HP soaps, and in cold process I have heard that is not much difference if you add SF oil before or after pouring lye to oils. But for me is enough to know that is reasonable for more advanced soapers :)

................ in cold process I have heard that is not much difference if you add SF oil before or after pouring lye to oils................

No difference at all from the super fat aspects.

But bear in mind that not all properties of an oil are destroyed in the saponification process. If it was, we would all be using the cheapest oil as the main oil and then nice things as just superfat.

It is true that some of the properties don't make it through, but that doesn't mean that the soap won't have some interesting aspects from the oil

I made a soap using 5% hemp oil. I felt like that amount was safe so as not to cause rancidity or dos. It has been 3 months now and the soap is wonderful! My amounts were:
50% olive oil
30% coconut oil
10% shea butter
5% avocado oil
5% hemp seed oil
I also used beer instead of water.
Good luck!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back