Slight show of oil on top of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I am starting to wrap my winter soap that I give to friends and family at Christmas. I have noticed that some of the batches have oozed a small amount Oil. This seems to just be on the top.

All of the soap batches were cured on open racks for at least three months and then boxed (unwrapped) in sport card boxes. They were cured and stored in a spare bedroom.

For the past several weeks I think the house has been a little humid. It has not been hot enough most days to run the AC which usually takes care of humidity. I am wondering if anyone thinks this short period of humid weather could have caused this.

Yes, some soap sweats during humid weather. Get some of the liquid on your fingertips and then gently rinse the area with water. If it rinses off fairly easily, it's glycerin. If it doesn't rinse off cleanly, it's oil. I'm betting that it's glycerin.

Full recipe, scents, and process will help people to be specific in their suggestions

Normally, with this type question I would include the formula with any pertinent details. Because I have made this formula at least eight times successfully in the last three years I felt confident the formula and process would not be the problem. I made it exactly as I usually do with no changes with the formula, add ins, etc.. Nothing was different.

I am just seeking comments/advise as to whether my humidity concern could be valid. Maybe other soap makers have had this problem too.

"...Because I have made this formula at least eight times successfully in the last three years I felt confident the formula and process would not be the problem. I made it exactly as I usually do with no changes with the formula, add ins, etc.. Nothing was different. ..."

I think The Gent has a point.

Even if you had shared this additional info (quoted above) in your original post, it would have answered some questions before they needed to be asked. And the extra info might have been to your benefit -- it sometimes prompts people to give more detailed answers.

For example, I might have taken the time to offer a more detailed answer about why soap sweats and what might contribute to the problem. Since I didn't know what your recipe was, however, anything I could say along that line was just going to be a shot in the dark, so I decided to just give a very generic answer.

Full recipe, scents, and process will help people to be specific in their suggestions

Normally, with this type question I would include the formula with all details. Because I have made this formula at least eight times successfully in the last three years I felt confident the formula and process would not be the problem. I made it exactly as I usually do with no changes with the formula, add ins, etc.. Nothing was different.

Latest posts

Back