Single oil soap experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the curious soapmakers experiment is very good. But no animal fats were used, so it's not particularly helpful to soapers who use those.
Thank you A&A for including lard and tallow in your experiment.

How could I have missed that experiment?! That's exactly what I had in mind. For some reason, that has never come up in my googling. Brilliant!
I will add trace times to my things monitored.
I will add Avocado.
I don't really want to add butters: expense (this little experiment may get pricy as it is) and they usually aren't readily available at most supermarkets. I was going to try to keep to 12 oils, but I'm already at 15. After this experiment, I may try another batch of oils, like Pumpkin Seed, Sesame, Walnut, Hazelnut, etc and maybe add butters to that.
I will be blogging my experiment and results, and will also post them here.

Oh, yes...and blind testing! I will emboss each soap with a number. I was going to emboss each with its name, but a number system is smarter :wink:

It is super humid here in Florida most of the time, but with the AC going, it's not so bad. I will note the temperature in the kitchen when I soap and the temperature in the curing areas. Is there an (easy) way to measure humidity?
I'm leaving all the soaps unwrapped, since I think that would be another variable that could affect outcome, and even oils that could normally stand the test of time could have a problem with plastic wrapping.
There's another experiment idea right there: How does packaging effect soap longevity or rancidity?
Any takers? :wink:

the curious soapmakers experiment is very good. But no animal fats were used, so it's not particularly helpful to soapers who use those.
Thank you A&A for including lard and tallow in your experiment.
I don't use animal fats in my soaps personally, but I don't use most of the others in this experiment either...:) Besides, this isn't an experiment just for me :wink:

Updated Oil List:
AVOCADO
CANOLA
CASTOR
COCONUT (LouAna 76 degree)
CORN
GRAPESEED
LARD
OLIVE (Refined)
PALM (Hydrogenated Organic)
PEANUT
RICE BRAN
SAFFLOWER
SOYBEAN
SUNFLOWER
TALLOW

I will use 360 g of each oil and 108 g of water (30% Water:Oil Ratio) with 5% Superfat

Utility liquid soaps...as in laundry/dish soap? If so that is a brilliant recycling idea! I always wonder what to do after I make eggplant parm!

Yes, utility as in dishes and laundry.

I am married to a southern boy. We have a lot of used frying oil. I have also recycled used soy oil, but we are phasing out soy completely, in food (GMOs) and soap (DOS). For liquid soap though, DOS is not an issue.

I have been using about 50% recycled deep frying oil, and 50% CO (new). So far the peanut coconut combo is working out great. It works well in laundry and dishes. I also much prefer peanut oil for deep frying, it has such a high smoking point. There are peanut allergies though, something to consider.

Wow, Shawnee - this is a huge undertaking for you but I'm so glad you're doing it. We're all going to be so smart when you get done! :) I don't have any other suggestions, but I do like the idea of master batching the lye for consistency, and numbering the bars is a great idea. Looking forward to your results

Another suggestion to test the hardness/solubility of the soap. Assuming all of these weight the same amount, you could put a bar into a container of water with a mini-pump of some sort (something to move the water constantly). These are easily found at pet stores. Let it sit in the water for a set amount of time and weigh it both before and after submersion. May want to run a trial on one that you think will be somewhere in the middle to see how long it takes to get a real, measurable weight loss (10% maybe???). Again, thinking off the top of my head. Ideally you would want to use as big of a container of water as possible so that the dissolving of the soap doesn't change the ability of the water to dissolve the soap.

Oh come on we all have a girl crush on A&A. Her soaps are awesome and she is smart as the dickens. She is so creative with the information she has that accompany her soaps. I bow before your awesomeness A&A!

HELP!
I have all of my supplies ready to go for this experiment...but I CAN NOT for the life of me find RENDERED TALLOW anywhere locally! I can purchase 1 quart from Essential Depot for $7.49...plus $15.75 shipping!!! They are about an hour drive from me, and I may consider it if I don't have any other options. I don't even use animal fats in my soaps so I would only be using it for this experiment. I've checked all the local grocery stores, and can find the bulk fat, but would have to render it myself, which I'd highly prefer not to do. The local butcher also only carries it unrendered.

Any suggestions? Anyone have the Tallow hook-up?

Latest posts

Back