Silly question about dusting with mica...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinta

Reaction score
I just made a batch of pink soap this evening, and it wasn't until I was attempting to dust the top of it with white pearl mica that I realized I really didn't know what I was doing :oops:

I had brought the soap to a nice heavy trace & textured the tops, and then I tried to 'dust' the pearl mica on with a very soft paintbrush, but the soap just ended up sticking to the brush. So then I tried shaking it over in a little sifter, but it was letting too much out at once so I ended up with big globs of it in patches rather than a fine 'dust'.

So, how exactly do you 'dust' the top of soap with mica? Should I have waited a few hours for it to harden first?

TIA! :D

I do it with a little sifter container. I tap it lightly but do it high so it spreads out as it falls.

You can dust on after it's done it's thing in the mold with a makeup brush or you can dust on with a little container and old panty hose stretched over the top while it's still wet.

If you want it on the peaks, I would use a brush so you can hit the tops & avoid the cracks.

If you want it in the cracks I would shake it on & use a cloth to wipe it off the peaks.

It's 2 completely different looks.

Thanks so much for all the help & great ideas! All of those techniques sound good, I'm making another batch tonight so I'll have a play around with the mica again. Thanks! :)

Latest posts

Back