Shower Lotion Bar Tests and recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, these babies melt fast! I noticed that on the Lush website in their reviews. Anyone thought about modifying to extend the life even a little? Maybe a small amount of beeswax? Lowering the exfoliants a bit? Both?
I made some minis and one of the minis lasted 2 baths for me (I prefer baths to showers).

Good question, I wondered about that myself. I don't notice that the bath is slick after I shower (I almost never take baths) which I did check on. I don't know if that means most of it is going on my arms and legs rather than down the drain. Does anyone use it while taking a bath and notice it collecting on the sides of the tub? Or otherwise collecting in the drainer thingie (can't think of what they are called atm).

Last edited:
It seems like if they were emulsified they might wash away more easily. But the one I used to make was emulsified and seemed to leave more behind. So not sure ...
To me, the emulsified ones seem to rinse off more completely. Since I want this bar to leave the butters behind on my skin, I prefer non-emulsified in this context. :)

I was thinking about keeping a spray bottle of Dawn in the bathroom to spray the tub with after showering. Maybe a little dawn down the drain after showering would help prevent possible issues. :tub:

I did finally get to try mine. I thought it was a little too exfoliating. I was thinking about just using the rice and adding some ground oats instead.

So . . . silly question I know, but are these used in place of soap or after soap? They sound divine 🥰
@Shelley D, this is the little blurb I put in the package when I gift them:

"These bars are modeled after the Lush Buffy bar. Like that bar, you use them in the shower or bath, where warm water and skin will melt the bar just enough to provide a layer of conditioning but non-greasy butters and exfoliants.

Soap and rinse as usual. Then run the bar over your arms, legs, and any other parts of your body that need it. Rub the exfoliants in, then rinse them off and pat dry. Keep the bar in a dry area when not using it in the shower."

@dmcgee5034, we crossposted, of course your's was better/shorter and more precise!

Thanks to both of you @dmcgee5034 and @not_ally I've never used Lush products and hadn't googled it yet but they do sound lovely! And I might be able to reduce the amount of oils I use, not that I don't like my oils, but with my mobility issues the struggle is worse some days more than others 😟 it might be easier to just rub down with the bar in the shower while I'm there 🤷🏼‍♀️

I am back to report on my Mom’s review of the Buffy Bar I gave her to test out. Keep in mind I gave her a full run down verbally of the use and purpose, and also wrote it out on the packaging and in a text. So yesterday she says “You know that little scrubby bar? The one with all the stuff in it? Yeah, ummm, it doesn’t bubble at all, and it’s really hard to rinse off. The scrubby bits rinse off, but the rest is really hard to get off.”
I gave her another explanation of the purpose and use, but she still seemed skeptical. 😂🤣😂

I know you all will understand….
We got home today after 3 1/2 weeks on the road. Just over 7400 miles driven and a round trip flight from Florida to Grenada. As I’m watering plants and doing laundry I decided I had time to make my first Buffy Bars. 😳 I have been thinking of these darn things for a month now! We don’t have any dried beans in the house so I decided to try just grinding up basmati. Since I started thinking of making these my plan has been to use each of the dry ingredients separately and then a batch, as written, with all the dry ingredients. Since I only made 50 grams, which was enough to fill 2 1/2 candy mold cavities, I don’t use a preservative. When I make bigger batches I will definitely use preservative.
Impatiently waiting for them to solidify so I can try them on my super dry skin.

The scrubby bits rinse off, but the rest is really hard to get off.”
That is awesome, @dmcgee5034! Your mom sounds great. I don't think I could convince my mom to try something that far outside of her daily routine although she loves her super flowery soaps and creams that give me a headache when I make them!

@Tammyfarms farms, you need to grind both the rice and the beans really fine. The almond almost turns into paste if you grind it too much, but the rice and beans are so hard you can get them really fine without losing exfoliating-ness. ETA: also, happy homecoming! It is so nice to get home when you'e been gone a while.

That is awesome, @dmcgee5034! Your mom sounds great. I don't think I could convince my mom to try something that far outside of her daily routine although she loves her super flowery soaps and creams that give me a headache when I make them!

@Tammyfarms farms, you need to grind both the rice and the beans really fine. The almond almost turns into paste if you grind it too much, but the rice and beans are so hard you can get them really fine without losing exfoliating-ness. ETA: also, happy homecoming! It is so nice to get home when you'e been gone a while.
Thank you! I ground the heck out of the rice and then ran it through a fine mesh strainer. Glad I did as it was still fairly scratchy. Even with just the rice I love it. Definitely going to the store in the morning for almonds and beans.
I was thinking of buying almond flour instead of grinding almonds. Has anyone else tried that?

Latest posts

Back