Shaving soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use clay to provide slip, or lubricity.
Are you saying the oat does the same or the opposite?

Maria said:
I would think slip and lubricity would be the opposite of resistance. The oat flour is to increase the lather.

You stated oatmeal flour gives the same resistance as clay. Clay does not give resistance; it provides slip.
That's what most people like in a shaving soap...

I can't use it either - or oatmeal - since they dry my skin.

now I'm all confused about the resistance thing. unless you are saying that by increasing the resistance you get more lather volume.

I'm the same way. People keep telling me my OMH soap is wonderful but it is drying to my skin even I superfat the same as soaps I like. Same with the clay soaps.
Yes that is exactly what I meant. The resistance increases the lather. I do HP, the jojoba I add with the fragrance would take care of the slip. I guess if slip is the point, clay would be a better choice. For whatever reason, a soap with clay or one with oatmeal does not agree with my skin.

Probably not. I have green clay and rose clay from one of the soap making suppliers and some kind of clay I bought at whole foods. In soap, I can't tell them apart from the feel on my skin. They look different of course.

this is the 3rd time i'm going to try and post a reply!!!!

i only tried soaping with clay a few days ago, so it's a bit early to say. the other thing is, i've never made shaving soap before, nor do i shave, so i am unaware of the qualities one would be looking for in a shaving soap.

i cut one of the bstches of the soaps i've made and it looks lovely, so i can't wait until it cures a bit so i can try it out.

Maria said:
Probably not. I have green clay and rose clay from one of the soap making suppliers and some kind of clay I bought at whole foods. In soap, I can't tell them apart from the feel on my skin. They look different of course.

Oh ok. I really like both the pink and the green French Argiletz clay. I wonder if it depends on the recipe and on how much clay is used?

Makes wonderful shaving soap :D I actually use it for an all-over body soap as well as shaving, its one of my fav to use.

Feel free to PM me your addy and I can post you a couple tablespoons to use in a batch :wink:

Latest posts

Back