Shaving Puck - w/ clays, honey, glycerin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giltc

Reaction score
It’s still sitting with itself, but I think it’ll turn out nice. The lighter section has kaolinite, the darker bentonite. The glycerin I infused with alkanet, so hopefully a coupla blue shades will settle in. And a good dose of honey. Traced quick (imaginable), gelled with no effort.

I only used NaOH, which I’ve read is a misstep, but my soapcalc numbers have a 41 for stable lather and 32 for bubbly. And 13% castor. I’m excited. Are you excited? I’m excited.

Really surprised my glass didn't shatter then. Think we are going to throw that one in the recycle bin as it isn't safe for anything. When I took my hot process class the instructor used glass. Old pickle jars. Sooooooo…. That is how I made the assumption. Of course it wasn't in the glass long, just long enough to turn clear. Obviously not wise on her part I see! That was 12 people taught that!
Yes pitchers are safe! I have a really cool industrial probe thermometer DH brought home from work for me. All in Celsius! new learning curve there! We don't even use Celsius at work. Google saves the day.
My mother used to tell me as a small girl that I was going to have a Ph.D from the school of hard knox!

Wow! Got me thinking about canning too! Been years! Used to use a pressure canner as well as hot water bath. Spring fever! Now I want tomato plants.

18 hours after pouring my shaving block into a styrofoam bowl that once held miso soup the Japanese place sent me home with, and I’m a little let down. I’ve read that alkanet sets dull, then brightens up in about a week, but I’m miffed even the bentonite and kaolinite sections look a lot like each other.

However: gorgeous, rich, lotion-like lather that sticks around for DAYS. I mean, lookit this: 0DEBD109-5652-40CB-AB7E-2A14C1945DD8.jpeg50D8CCA3-51B7-40A4-AD87-685DF4E25351.jpeg2EA648C5-B776-4F29-8D64-9B051928C57F.jpeg

And yes, in those photos it’s not a shaving brush but a paintbrush, I was aiming for results, not verisimilitude.

Attachments

• 8203CF6D-60F7-4546-B4A6-9449420A07FD.jpeg
    8203CF6D-60F7-4546-B4A6-9449420A07FD.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 10E45348-0EEF-4CD9-ACC3-F62A015D86D7.jpeg
    10E45348-0EEF-4CD9-ACC3-F62A015D86D7.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 10
Verisimilitude?? :D
I have also made a shave soap with only NaOH, but after feedback from some of my users/testers ( some others say it just lovely as it is) I've decided to adjust the recipe in two ways:
1) Use an NaOH/KOH split ( probably 90/10 initially)
2) Increase the stearic component by using more soy wax
I'll go for option one first and put it out to the testers, and then go for number 2 second if required.

Verisimilitude?? :D
I have also made a shave soap with only NaOH, but after feedback from some of my users/testers ( some others say it just lovely as it is) I've decided to adjust the recipe in two ways:
1) Use an NaOH/KOH split ( probably 90/10 initially)
2) Increase the stearic component by using more soy wax
I'll go for option one first and put it out to the testers, and then go for number 2 second if required.

That sounds pretty great. Would upping the stearic be just a lather-boost? I wonder if it would start to make the clay go crumbly. Well, there’s glycerin to help flexibly hold together...

Thanks for your reply! I enjoy how collaborative this community can be (even if from Wrong Australia...joke!)

Back