Shampoo Bars...Color Treated Hair

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Hair feels great today...... I have naturally curly, dry, overcolortreated hair. ( You know..a woman in her 40's kind of hair) lol.

Anyway... Washed my hair with Kitn's PooBar, went to bed with a wet head of hair...I was to tired to dry and try to do anything with it..

Needless to say my hair looked like Cramer from Seinfield when I got up lol ...but anyway...when I got it all fixed before work this morning it is really soft and managable...I didnt notice any color fade or anything. I LIKE IT !

Also my hair was clean.....it didnt feel like it had any kind of scummy build up or residue on it.

I am happy you like it :D . We share the same kind of hair , but mine is 10 yrs older :wink: I would never go back to any kind of shampoo , low ph or otherwise.
Just think of all the money and shampoo we don't waste anymore :wink:

Kitn

I can't wait to try this recipe!! I haven't made my bar yet so instead I tried one of my regular soaps which worked great except...it had GM.....I smelled like rotten milk ew!

OK, i want to try this, how much lye and water, is this just 2 bars? help!

2 oz OO
5 oz CO
1 oz Jojoba
3 oz PO
4 oz Castor Oil
1 oz Cocoa Butter

I used 5.6 oz water and 2.214 oz lye

I did a 5% superfat and 35% water.

I also do SL and Sugar in all my soaps.

It made 4 good size bars.

My bar is still a little soft....., so maybe I didnt do something just right. But I have used it in my hair 2 times already, it seems to do good.

Vickey

carebear said:
soap may leave your hair feeling soft, but it has a very high pH - and shampoos formulated for color treated hair tout a very low pH. so I'd personally think twice about using it.

I'll look for research on the topic.

I got my hair cut this week and asked my hairdresser about using my soap on my hair. I have highlights so I'm concerned about stripping color. This summer the sun made them lighter anyway, so I'm probably not the best judge of soap stripping color. My hairdresser said that my soap could strip color out of my hair. So far so good, but I did notice it getting frizzy even with the acid vinegar rinse. My hair is really soft now, but the random frizzies seem to be an indicator of something not quite right.

ETA: my 100% CO, 5% SF salt bar has the lowest pH of all my soaps. It's between 7 and 8. Not much fun to wash your hair with however. Retested and it's closer to 10 with a pH meter.

carebear said:
how do you test the pH of your salt bars?

thanks for the read.

I'm not sure if pH paper is the best way to test my soaps. LOL! But it's a good general guide for me instead of just curing time. I just have pH strips, 3-11 range. I rub a drop of water on the soap and then smear the paper over the soap. My soaps are between 8 and 9, although my high OO soaps read 10. My soap making/selling friend told me she'd test my bars for me, but I never asked how she did it.

How do you test your pH? Do you think the salt bar reading is inaccurate?

Okay, just did some research on pH paper, probably not the most reliable. Apparently since soap is a surfactant it can throw off the indicators of pH strips by 2 to 3 units. Normal pH for soap should be 9.5 to 10. I can't believe I didn't read this before. The article stated that plastic laboratory grade pH strips performed the best.

I have the Vivid 1-11 pH strips that are referenced in the article and they gave readings similar to a pH meter. Now I just need to figure out how to use them correctly.

I do have a pH meter for my wine testing, but I'm not sure how I'd use it for soap.

ETA: You can make a solution of your soap by dissolving some in 2 oz distilled water. I got a pH of 9.96 for my salt bar using my meter. pH paper was still inaccurate. One time I get 10, then 9.

I don't test the pH of my soaps. I've never found the number relevant - for me

It doesn't seem to matter for my skin, I was just curious for my hair.

Latest posts

Back