Shampoo Bar with Pyrithione Zinc recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a search for the ingredient itself up the top there and a few threads came up. As for a recipe, I doubt many people will share recipes as a lot of them have been a while in formulating. There is the Swift Crafty Monkey blog that you can subscribe to and buy recipes: Creating a shampoo bar from scratch: Modifying the base formula with different surfactants – Point of Interest
Or if you have a syndet formulation you use presently, have you tried adding the 2% pyrithione zinc to that and see how it goes?
When formulating your own recipe you might want to look at the ingredients already specified in the shampoo you have been looking at: Dermaharmony Dandruff Shampoo Bar Sulfur & Salicyic Acid With Natural Peppermint - Etsy New Zealand This is not the pyrithione zinc one, but if you scroll down the ingredients are all listed on the right side of the page. Interestingly, the one with the pyrithione zinc at 2% is actually not syndet - but a lye-based soap, which many don't recommend using on your hair (although some people love it).

I just did a search for the ingredient itself up the top there and a few threads came up. As for a recipe, I doubt many people will share recipes as a lot of them have been a while in formulating. There is the Swift Crafty Monkey blog that you can subscribe to and buy recipes: Creating a shampoo bar from scratch: Modifying the base formula with different surfactants – Point of Interest
Or if you have a syndet formulation you use presently, have you tried adding the 2% pyrithione zinc to that and see how it goes?
When formulating your own recipe you might want to look at the ingredients already specified in the shampoo you have been looking at: Dermaharmony Dandruff Shampoo Bar Sulfur & Salicyic Acid With Natural Peppermint - Etsy New Zealand This is not the pyrithione zinc one, but if you scroll down the ingredients are all listed on the right side of the page. Interestingly, the one with the pyrithione zinc at 2% is actually not syndet - but a lye-based soap, which many don't recommend using on your hair (although some people love it).
Yes, I also did that search and found what you found. I subscribe to SCM's blog, but not at a high level. Doing a search there, I haven't seen mention of pyrithione zinc. My plan has been to substitute this ingredient for that proportion of one of the dry surfactants. I was just curious if anyone had a recipe they'd care to share. But thank you, KiwiMoose, for reaffirming what I also found.

If you don't already have a syndet recipe you're happy with, another option is to buy the hot pour shampoo bar recipe from DIY Bath and Body on Etsy. That one has a misc additive amount of 1.5% in the "water phase" equivalent (so you can tweak by adding the PZ if it's water soluble) and my experience is that the owners have a lot of formulating experience and are good about answering questions if you buy the product.

I haven't used that recipe yet (bought it a while ago but got too busy making Xmas soaps!) but I'm pretty happy with their regular shampoo bar recipe and I think most people like the hot pour one even better. I think the recipe costs about $10.00. DIY Shampoo Bars Hot Pour - Etsy

Another option once you've formulated a recipe is asking for input at chemistscorner.com, although you should have already done your research and ask questions that show you have some skin in the game or some posters will be annoyed. Forums Archive - Chemists Corner

Similarly, reddit has a subforum called r/DIYBeauty which could be really helpful but has a list of rules that emphasize (a) doing your own legwork and not posting unless you already have a recipe and just want educated input and (b) not using their input for commercial purposes, so strictly for your own DIY purposes. Not sure if that's your situation, but if so they give pretty good advice. https://www.reddit.com/r/DIYBeauty/

Last edited:
If you don't already have a syndet recipe you're happy with, another option is to buy the hot pour shampoo bar recipe from DIY Bath and Body on Etsy. That one has a misc additive amount of 1.5% in the "water phase" equivalent (so you can tweak by adding the PZ if it's water soluble) and my experience is that the owners have a lot of formulating experience and are good about answering questions if you buy the product.

I haven't used that recipe yet (bought it a while ago but got too busy making Xmas soaps!) but I'm pretty happy with their regular shampoo bar recipe and I think most people like the hot pour one even better. I think the recipe costs about $10.00. DIY Shampoo Bars Hot Pour - Etsy

Another option once you've formulated a recipe is asking for input at chemistscorner.com, although you should have already done your research and ask questions that show you have some skin in the game or some posters will be annoyed. Forums Archive - Chemists Corner

Similarly, reddit has a subforum called r/DIYBeauty which could be really helpful but has a list of rules that emphasize (a) doing your own legwork and not posting unless you already have a recipe and just want educated input and (b) not using their input for commercial purposes, so strictly for your own DIY purposes. Not sure if that's your situation, but if so they give pretty good advice. https://www.reddit.com/r/DIYBeauty/
I have a couple of shampoo and conditioner bar recipes, but I just got these, too. I see the 1.5% for extracts or additives, and yes, that's what I'm going to do. I also like this shampoo recipe, because you pour it into the mold instead of needing to press it, so it's really nice that way. Thanks!

Yay! Let us know how it works out. As I said, the site owners are good about answering questions, also there is a facebook group (you have to ask to join, answer a few questions, it usually takes a day or two before you have access.) They do say that it is best to message them on etsy if you have a question (rather than post to facebook) because they're more likely to see it quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DIYBathandBodyShop

Last edited:
I was wondering if you had a good source for pyrithione zinc. I've seen it on Amazon, but it's quite spendy...

Latest posts

Back