Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soybean oil does not add anything special to soap. Just substitute with OO or some other liquid oil.

I had to stop using soap for shampoo. My hair started feeling like straw even with the ACV rinse. I did find a shampoo and conditioner that does not break my back out in rashes finally.

I've used a modified version of this recipe for about 2 year now. I did notice that my hair was getting a little rougher looking. I added henna mainly to see if it would hide the gray. Wow that made all the difference in the world. I use a ACV rinse and blow dry as well as use a flat iron. My hair is shoulder length and it is looking healthy & shiny again. To the point where I've received several compliments on it.

How do you incorporate the henna? Do you steep the powder and use the remaining liquid?

JayJay, I infused the OO with chamomile and henna, and I added a tbsp to the actual batter. This time I'm going to add an additional tbsp in hopes it will cover some the new growth that is gray.

JayJay, I infused the OO with chamomile and henna, and I added a tbsp to the actual batter. This time I'm going to add an additional tbsp in hopes it will cover some the new growth that is gray.

Thanks! That makes sense. :)

I have been using Genny's shampoo recipe since October 2013 - every 4 days - still love it. The only changes I made:
1) use goat milk instead of water
2) instead of 10% soybean oil, increased the avocado oil to 35% and olive oil to 45% (no infusion)
3) use fragrance oil instead of eo*

Every 2 or 3 months, will do an apple cider vinegar rinse. Never have to use conditioners or change shampoos anymore. Shoulder length, fine hair.

Lots more kisses to you, Genny!

*Am cautious around eos. Attached is a picture of my son's hands after making margaritas at the pool (lime juice). He had the rash for weeks. Can't imagine what a concentrate of anything will do.

margaritaitis.jpg

HP shampoo bar - add vinegar _after_ the cook?

I was wondering:
Since we know adding ACV to a CP soap only will neutralize the lye and give you more superfat, what would happen if you added the ACV to HP soap, and only after the cook, when the soap doesn`t zap anymore? And perhaps let it cook a tinybit afterwards, just to get rid of some of the exsess liquid from the ACW (because water discount isn`t really a smart idea when HP, right?)

Has this been done before? I want to try this, and wondering if anyone added the ACV after cook to avoid this whole issue.
If no one has tried it, I will do it in a small batch, just to try it.

This doesn't work any better than adding it before the cook. The ACV will still "break" the soap into fatty acids.

The most obvious example of this is when people make liquid soap and add an acid such as ACV to the soap and are unhappy when the liquid soap separates into two layers ... soap on the bottom and fatty acids on the top.

You don't see this same type of obvious separation happen in a bar soap, but the same breakdown of the soap into fatty acids happens all the same, even though it's not apparent to the eye.

View attachment 18693
This doesn't work any better than adding it before the cook. The ACV will still "break" the soap into fatty acids.

The most obvious example of this is when people make liquid soap and add an acid such as ACV to the soap and are unhappy when the liquid soap separates into two layers ... soap on the bottom and fatty acids on the top.

You don't see this same type of obvious separation happen in a bar soap, but the same breakdown of the soap into fatty acids happens all the same, even though it's not apparent to the eye.

Ok, I understand, acid will mess with the soap whenever it is added, good to know. Thank you for taking the time to answer probably a very obvious thing to everyone but me. I always read up on things before asking, but sometimes I can`t seem to find what I search for.
You are a peach.

Glad I could help! This question comes up pretty regularly, so don't feel bad. Many others have had the same idea, but only think to ask after their soap fails. You are being thoughtful and doing your homework ahead of time, and that's really nice to see.

Glad I could help! This question comes up pretty regularly, so don't feel bad. Many others have had the same idea, but only think to ask after their soap fails. You are being thoughtful and doing your homework ahead of time, and that's really nice to see.

Thank you
t4405.gif

Hi! I've loved using this shampoo for over a year now...but I'm out of avo oil! Can I replace it with another oil or would that be taking out the best bit and compromising the shampoo..?

I'll be the 30 millionth person to revive this thread and chime in with my HP version with citric acid and additives.

40% olive
30% avocado
15% soybean
10% shea
5% pko

(104 INS / 3 cleansing / 72 conditioning)

35% water
6% SF (added 6g lye per 10g citric acid to maintain this SF)

1 tsp ppo sodium lactate to lye water
pinch silk to lye water
2% Panthenol + 2% citric acid at trace (dissolved in water)
.5 oz/ppo lavender EO + peppermint EO after cook
2% honey after cook

Hoping the citric acid helps with hair residue, and honey boosts otherwise low bubbles (I'm plum out of castor and wanted virtually zero cleansing.)

Cooked up well, smells nice. Might end up being a little tingly.

Last edited:
I'll be the 30 millionth person to revive this thread and chime in with my HP version with citric acid and additives.

40% olive
30% avocado
15% soybean
10% shea
5% pko

(104 INS / 3 cleansing / 72 conditioning)

35% water
6% SF (added 6g lye per 10g citric acid to maintain this SF)

1 tsp ppo sodium lactate to lye water
pinch silk to lye water
2% Panthenol + 2% citric acid at trace (dissolved in water)
.5 oz/ppo lavender EO + peppermint EO after cook
2% honey after cook

Hoping the citric acid helps with hair residue, and honey boosts otherwise low bubbles (I'm plum out of castor and wanted virtually zero cleansing.)

Cooked up well, smells nice. Might end up being a little tingly.
Sorry nope the citric will not help with the residue and no matter what you do hair hates soap for shampoo. PH is just to high for hair. Hopefully your hair is kept short so you keep the damage cut off...

Sorry nope the citric will not help with the residue and no matter what you do hair hates soap for shampoo. PH is just to high for hair. Hopefully your hair is kept short so you keep the damage cut off...

Geez, poo police! I read the whole thread. I know hair likes 5-7 pH. I'm not marketing this or using this as a shampoo bar, just as a gentle body bar safe for hair, for those who do prefer using lye soap to syndet shampoo every once in a while.

The best way I can explain what the high PH soap and low PH ACV rise does to soap is this. Take a thin piece of metal and bend it up. Then bend it down. Then bend it up. This is basically what you're doing to the hair cuticle (the part that protects the shaft) every time you put it through the rapid PH cycle of soap/ACV. You can only bend that piece of metal so many times before it breaks off. How many times depends on the type of metal. But eventually, it WILL break. Same exact thing with a hair cuticle. I personally would feel horrible selling (or even giving away) a product that I KNOW could cause that kind of damage to someone's hair.

I did say I wouldn't market it as shampoo. But also said I would say it is a gentle (low cleansing/no coconut) soap that can be used on hair. I was hoping no acv rinse was necessary with this recipe - I will test that theory. That being said, do I want to recommend people exclusively use low cleansing soaps on hair? No. But if people want to mix it up or achieve a certain occasional effect, then I would feel ok providing them this bar.

"I was hoping no acv rinse was necessary with this recipe - I will test that theory...."

I know people hope they can get a two-in-one "shampoo and rinse" by adding acid to soap, but soap chemistry just doesn't work that way. Citric acid in soap makes sodium citrate; it doesn't function as an acid anymore once it's in soap. Other acids make their own sodium salts (vinegar -> sodium acetate, lactic acid => sodium lactate, etc.)

If you don't compensate for the lye that will be consumed by the acid, you will also raise the superfat in the soap. In bar soap, this increase in superfat is hidden from plain sight, but it still happens. In liquid soap, the effect of the acid is really obvious -- the soap separates into a fatty acid/fat layer and a soap layer.

A two step method is the only one that will do what you want -- wash with lye-based soap and then rinse with a mild acid solution.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back