Sequestering liquid soap: Does it improve over time?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whitetiger, I'm sorry it has been proved in our industry that it simply doesn't work that way. You can add an antioxidant but that is simply going to slow down the rancidity of the oils. You cannot use enough essential oil to actually preserve the product. In a leave on product you need to be beneath 1.5% and even at that it can be therapeutic for some people.

I can't address your products that you like to buy, but other than soap or a straight oil/butter combination you must have a preservative in it. I see a lot of DIY sites tell you that you don't have to and if you are using it just for yourself it is only your health you are risking. IF you are selling then you must add a preservative in order to be compliant.

My stuff isn't good enough to sell..ha! But I don't know anyone who used preservatives in their soaps that they sold, liquid or solid. But eh. I get what you mean.

If you were to go to the Cream Soap Group on Yahoo you would hear how you must use a preservative..... both in cream soap and liquid. I have mixed feelings on liquid soap but unless you are adding botanicals or dairy to cream soap after the cook I don't believe it has to be preserved either and I have some that is about 3 years old and I've tested it - no bacteria, no mold, no nasties....

ETA - to change biologicals to botanicals... sorry for the error

Last edited:
If you were to go to the Cream Soap Group on Yahoo you would hear how you must use a preservative..... both in cream soap and liquid. I have mixed feelings on liquid soap but unless you are adding biologicals to cream soap after the cook I don't believe it has to be preserved either and I have some that is about 3 years old and I've tested it - no bacteria, no mold, no nasties....

Yeah like I said, i've got diluted soap in my laundry room right now. Still looks and smells fine. No nasties. The PH is just too high for anything to grow

Mz Molly I actually meant botanicals... sorry I will change my post... So botanicals are going to be plant based material also if you add milk or other dairy you will have a problem too.

Back