Separation?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SassyKat6181

Reaction score
Hi all! New to the forum but I've been making soap for a year. Never had a problem until now. My last two batches have separated. There's a semi solid on the bottom, a layer of liquid coconut oil and a gel on top

I use coconut oil, castor oil, lard, frozen goats milk and lye. EO or FO depending on the batch. I mix together between 95-100 degrees and use a stick blender.

Nothing has changed except it's been a little hotter and humid this week. I made three batches last week that came out perfectly. The FOs I used this time I've used previously without issue

Here's a photo in case it helps. Thanks! ImageUploadedBySoap Making1409692948.869882.jpg

I'd say that its a combo of the coconut oil, milk and higher temps that is causing your soap to overheat and separate. Try mixing at 80* or under and try to prevent gel, maybe put the filled mold in the fridge overnight.

Thanks. I was mid-pour on the third batch when I noticed the second batch looked funny. I put this newest batch in the fridge, so hopefully it'll be ok. Ugh! Pumpkin soap mishap is heating in the oven. It smells so awesome I hate to waste it :(

The batch I put in the fridge separated also.

Does coconut oil go bad? It smells ok. The only thing I noticed different is it's loose in the bucket instead of solid It's the 76 melt and I just figured it loosened since it's been hot and humid I made a few batches last week that came out fine. Grr :(

your CO is just melting in the bucket from the heat outside. I would also suggest (on top of soaping at lower temps) stick blending a little longer to make sure everything is well blended.

I agree that it looks like overheating. I've found that if the temps in my house are below 73° or so, then I can proceed as normal. If the temps are over that, I need to really watch the gel process closely to ensure it doesn't get too hot.

had a similar batch a while ago. it had banana milk inside which got overheated. it's like it was oozing pus or something, lol.

Back