Selling & Licenses

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeannaM

Reaction score
For those of y'all that sell your soap where do you sell it? What kind of licenses do you have to have to sell? And do y'all have liability insurance? If so, who are you with? People are so dang sue happy now I'm more than a little worried about it. I have a small store that is wanting to take mine on consignment and I am contemplating doing some craft fairs but I'm confused on the licensing rules, etc. Thanks for the help!!!

The legal requirements to sell soaps/cosmetics etc. will vary from state to state. Here in Illinois, you do not need any special licensees for selling bath and body products, just have to follow the normal procedures/regulations for starting and running a small business (again, this will also depend on the type of business structure you go with, sole proprietor, LLC, etc.). Now in Florida - you can only sell soap as in true soap, nothing more.

In addition to the legal regulations regarding a business set-up, retail sales tax, filing income taxes, etc. you should familiarize yourself with the FDA labeling laws as they apply to soap, cosmetics and drugs.

Liability insurance can be sometimes purchased through who you may have other homeowners insurance through, RLI (there are sales limits with this one) or the Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild or Indie Beauty Network that offers an insurance option with your membership in the groups.

Licensing is done on a state by state basis. You might only need a sales tax license, you might need a business license as well, you might need more. Don't know.

If you sell interstate, you need to follow the federal rules & regs. In addition, you can't be shipping in products that are illegal in certain states. What those products are, I have no idea either.

Best advice I can give you is to consult with your local chamber of commerce, SBA, or other small business startup group.

Back