seeking less crumbly gardener/mechanic soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have continued to tweak my gardener/mechanic recipe but it is still too crumbly for my taste. I no longer use sodium lactate. This recipe gets my hands clean in seconds -- BUT it tends to break apart at the halfway point. I'd welcome any tips for a harder, longer lasting bar. Thank you!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    75 KB · Views: 0
Mechanics Dream is a recipe that I got from Cole Brothers. It will work as well for a gardener's soap.

24% Coconut Oil
5% Castor Oil
42% Olive Oil
5% Lanolin
24% Palm Oil
This recipe has a 6% lye discount

I used frozen, strong, black coffee instead of water for the lye mixture. Add 1 teaspoon of pumice and 1/8 cup finely ground coffee for every 16 ounces of oil.

Your recipe is fine as is but I like @lsg's Cole Brothers recipe better -- definitely Old School 😁

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 12.47.00 PM.png

25% Coconut vs ..............................................24% in @lsg's Cole Brothers recipe
28% Palm + 5.5% Shea Butter = 33.5% vs ... 24% in ditto
12% Avocado + 23.5% RBO = 35.5% vs .......42% Olive Oil + 5% lanolin in ditto
5% Castor vs. ..................................................Same in ditto

I would keep 25% Coconut and 5% Castor the same.
I would lower the Palm and up the Shea Butter to 24% total
I would use 34% Oilve Oil instead of RBO; plus 7% avocado
Add 5% lanolin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That being said, If you wish to keep the recipe as is, then we need to look at technique and additives:

68g Borax = 4.5 Tbls (approx,) Added to water used to make the lye solution.:thumbup:

1 Tbls Coffee Grounds
1 Tbls Loofah shreds
1/2 Tbls Poppy Seeds

It is generally recommend that dry ingredients be added at a rate of
1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon PPO max.

1090g Oils = 2.4 pounds
So. 2.5 tablespoons are the maximum. Consider 1/2 Tbls each.

Technique:
Add the additives (including fragrance) to the warmed oils and SB for one full minute before adding the lye solution.

Temps: 120-135°F is best for this formula.

Trace: Bring to full trace before pouring so batter better supports the additives and they don't settle or clump during cure.

HTH :computerbath:

Back