Sea soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieChan

Reaction score
I'm planning to make a soap for bf's parents. They love sailing so I want to make a sea themed soap. High amount of coconut oil makes it lather even in salt water right? But coconut oil can be drying?
What about this?
Coconut oil 60%
Olive oil 40%

How much should I superfat this soap?

Also planning to make the bar look like water and waves. Light blue, dark blue and a little bit of white. Any tips on swirling to make it look like waves?
And to make the top look like waves?

I'm a total noob btw. I have made one soap so far. Planning to make a coffee soap tomorrow.

I believe it is a 100% CO soap that lathers in salt water . CO is drying in higher amounts and even lower amounts for some people . If you use more OO than CO or flipped your numbers and add a butter , it will make a nice soap.
Say
OO 60%
CO 30%
Cocoa , Mango or Shea Butter 10%

A salt bar can be from 50 to 100% CO with salt added to equal 50 to 100% of the oil weight . Salt bars will give you great creamy lather even with the CO that high .

HTH
Kitn

Ok, then I'll make 100% coconut soap. I've read that you should superfat like 15-20% with those soap? Will the soap above lather in salt water?
I need a soap that will lather in salt water, but I don't want a bar with salt (too scrubby).

100% Coconut, with a 15-20% superfat will lather in salt water, and it's lovely soap. If you use a milk (coconut/goat/or some other) as a portion of your liquid, you will get a lovely creamy bubbly lather.

Ditto what ChrissyB said. I would stick to a 100% CO soap (without salt)for bathing in the ocean.

I need a soap that will lather in salt water, but I don't want a bar with salt (too scrubby).

If you use the right kind of salt in a salt soap, it won't be scrubby, but actually as smooth as glass. I use fine sea salt in my salt bars and they are never scrubby, just nice and smooth. Having said that, though, you won't be wanting to make salt bar for bathing in the ocean because it would be a salt overload and the soap wouldn't lather as much as you'd hoped it would.

IrishLass :)

ChrissyB said:
100% Coconut, with a 15-20% superfat will lather in salt water, and it's lovely soap. If you use a milk (coconut/goat/or some other) as a portion of your liquid, you will get a lovely creamy bubbly lather.

I haven't tried the milk (although now I want to! :lol: ) but I've done 100% coconut with a lot of superfat and up to 100% salt. It really is nice! The salt does not make it scrubby in the least.

ChrissyB said:

I'll second that! That's my favourite soap at the moment. 100% Coconut Oil with 20% superfat and made completely with goat's milk. I wash my hair in it too. :wink:

The soaping went well. I used 100% coconut oil but superfatted 17% with other oils. This is my second batch ever so I think I swirled to much so that the colors blended.
I took it out of the mold and cut it after 7-8 hours since it might be a hard soap.

GHtVxEzyB.jpg

ttRJqKRHE.jpg

kyAiFDZmm.jpg

Great job! And for what it's worth, I used plain old table salt for my salt bars and it's really river rock smooth. Cheap too! :)

Jude

You guys are all so sweet! Now I just need to wait like 6 weeks until I know if it's any good :wink:

Wow, I can't wait to try salt bars! Those soaps look amazing :)

I thought, though, that soap gets oily if you superfat it more than 10%

Guess it's back to the tutorial page!

fireweed said:
Wow, I can't wait to try salt bars! Those soaps look amazing :)

I thought, though, that soap gets oily if you superfat it more than 10%

Guess it's back to the tutorial page!

I read that if you use 100% coconut oil you need to superfat more so it won't be drying.

Latest posts

Back