Scrubby soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fragola

Reaction score
Planning to do an intensely scrubby soap with more grain sizes in it.

Wondering how large the grain size can be. Whole sesame seeds or I have some 3-5 mm salt - would that be too extreme ?

Sugar would be a good choice, but I feel I need a larger grain than the sugar I have been able to find.

Also wondering about the quantities. Would it make any sense 2 tsp fine powder, 2 tsp coarser powder, and 2 tsp largest grain ?

Or you wouldn't be able to feel the fine one, because it's too fine, while with the largest grain, you'll just feel now and then a scratch on the skin.

I have used espresso ground coffee, coconut, and scottish oatmeal. Espresso ground coffee (that hasnt been brewed before) is incredibly scrubby. I used it in the shower and I darn near ripped my skin off, I use those soaps for my hands now. Coconut isn't very scrubby however. I found Scottish Oatmeal at my local grocery store. It is a coarse ground oatmeal and I use it without grinding it anymore. It worked pretty well, but I only got to use it a couple times. I left it in the shower and it got wet and melted.

I have seen some people use sand before (if you collect your own sand make sure its screened, washed, then baked in the oven for a while to kill anything that may be in it).

Another alternative would be charcoal. I just bought some charcoal from a pet store that is used for aquarium filters. It is pretty coarse and I am sure it would be a great scrubby soap.

Other alternatives are ground loofah, epsom salts, blueberry seeds.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions. You didn't mention the quantities though ...

I tried ground coffee and found it moderately scrubby. Would expresso coffee be different ? There is some charcoal I made, I could try that.

Fragola said:
Thanks for the suggestions. You didn't mention the quantities though ...

I tried ground coffee and found it moderately scrubby. Would expresso coffee be different ? There is some charcoal I made, I could try that.

Espresso is more finely ground. So I guess it would be less scrubby. I'm looking into the same thing- my mechanic wants a scrubby soap!

I honestly eyeball it, I never measured my exfoliants. However, a quick search showed me this site.

http://spottedhipposoap.blogspot.com/20 ... s-for.html

It has a few different exolfiants and recommend amounts.

And this as well

http://www.teachsoap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6089

On a side note, there is this liquid hand scrub called Orange something. I can't remember the exact name, but it uses pumice and I use it at work when I spill paint pigments on myself and it gets it off! An exfoliant with orange oils to cut grease may be your best bet!

Did you use brewed coffee or unbrewed? I used unbrewed and put a lot in my last soap and I had the same problem, it about rips my skin off. If you want something more scrubby than that, I don't have a lot of suggestions. Strawberry seeds are pretty sharp. If you want it more scrubby, put more in. I like loofah because it is a soft scrubby.

I used unbrewed coffee. It was harsh on my skin. If I were to guess I'd say I used 3TBSP in a pound of soap

Probably I didn't add enough coffee. What about poppy seeds ? Just by looking at them, they seem more scrubby than coffee would be, but I haven't tried those.

Also, I'd like to have a more color neutral alternative. On top of that, I am considering the mess it leaves in the bathtub.

Anybody has any thoughts about my 3-5 mm grain salt ?

An exfoliant with orange oils to cut grease may be your best bet!
How would that work ? I did hear something about citrus oils and grease ... Are we talking orange EO ? How much ppo ?

i love poppy seeds, you can use in small or larger quantities depending on how scrubby you want it. i made a guinness stout kitchen soap that was really scrubby, great for lathering up after gardening :) cornmeal is another that is relatively gentle.

I have used many Things. When I make coffee Soap I make it in a coffee press then use the ground coffee used in making the coffee. I have used ground wallnut shells. The i scrubest had was using the corncob used fir tumbling ; cleaning brass for reloading. It seems to take on the color if the soap though. I had a friends d put sand in melt and pour and it clogged her drain.

charcoal
rolled oats
steel cut oatmeal
coffee (if you can grind it yourself, grind it on a coarser grind if you want more scratch)
sand
ground walnut shell
pumice
loofah
seeds (poppy, strawberry, blueberry, cranberry... whatever ya got)
apricot kernel meal
salt downright hurts/cuts skin if it's a really large crystal. I used himalayan pink salt, really coarse, for the tops of a pretty salt bar once and my FIL cut himself with it.

lots of stuff you can add at 1 tbsp ppo, I say if you want more scratch go up to 2-3 tbsp ppo. I *accidentally* did this last night with charcoal. -_- I ended up with probably 2 tbsp ppo. Still waiting to try it out obviously but I could feel by washing the pot that it was a bit scratchy!

I think that 3-5 mm salt sounds painful!! I think that could actually cut you.... I've bled from course salt before so I personally wouldn't.

I might be wrong, but I thought it was Fryja who posted not so long ago that she added grits to a soap for her hubby. Never tried that, but she seemed pleased with it.

If I'm thinking of the wrong person, forgive me Fryja.

I use 10 grams of poppy seeds per pound of oil. I absolutely love it, however, I've never tried any other scrubby textures in my soaps, so I'm not much help. :/

Last weekend I made a batch for my mechanic husband with cornmeal added as a scrubber. There was a small wedge left over after cutting and it seems to work well. I didn't measure the cornmeal - just eyeballed it, but probably about 1 Tbsp PPO.

The mechanic's soap you buy is orange EO and pumice for exfoliation. It isn't scrubby and in rough. Fine ground pumice is actually sand like. I have used up to 1oz of orange EO ppo in a cocoa butter soap. That is probably where I would go. It smelled nice but the scent did fade. The properties should stay.

Latest posts

Back