Salty Sailor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoSoapy

Reaction score
I am using a new f/o today it's salty sailor from daystar

does anyone know how much to use ppo?

thanks again

i'm soaping 2 pounds today!

Hiya

Normally the website from which you purchased will tell you. It's usually 1 - 2% per pound of oils if it is a concentrated fragrance. If it's not concentrated than I think the LyeCalc can tell you how much to use.

Hope that helps :/

Yeah I know I tried looking on their website first (before I posed the question) but I couldn't find it on there.

I was just hoping maybe someone who has used this particular f/o might know!

thanks

1-2% of oil weight seems kind of light to me as a general scent ratio. Most people use 3-6% (roughly .5 to 1 oz PPO)

I haven't used this one personally but I just checked the soap scent review board (register if you haven't done so already, it's wonderfully informative). Folks there say it accelerates so soap cool, don't take too much of a water discount, and be prepared to move fast. Of the reviews there, those that specified a scent ratio used .7 oz PPO and said it resulted in a strong scent level. If you prefer more lightly scented soaps, maybe back it off to .5 oz PPO.

Good luck!

I use Salty Sailor quite often. It's a fave around here. I use it at .7 oz ppo. It's good and strong at that level and sticks forever.

It is a quick mover, but I I've learned to work quickly enough to keep one step ahead of it. I soap it with a 31.5% lye solution and I soap it on the warm side (oils @120 to 125F and lye solution @ about 100 to 105F) because my formula contains a goodly portion of high stearic fats.

Some tricks I've learned to use that help me to keep one step ahead of it are these:

1. I add the FO to the warm oils before adding the lye, and when I do add the lye solution, I do not use my stickblender at all from the point of adding my lye and beyond. I just use a rubber spatula and I handstir 1/2 of my solution in until it's incorporated, and then I slowly add the other half of my solution. And I continue hand-stirring to trace.

2. I color mine a solid color (no swirls) and I stickblend my colorant into my oils (along with my FO) before adding my lye.

When I do it the above way, it takes 3 to 4 minutes to reach medium-thick trace, and it pours into my mold very nicely and stays workable enough to get good textured tops.

My previous method was to add the Salty Sailor after the lye solution, either at the emulsification stage or at light trace, which, although do-able if one works fast, gave me a shorter window of time to get it into the mold before it set up. Normally, it would set up about 5 - 10 seconds after it was all in my mold.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
... I handstir 1/2 of my solution in until it's incorporated, and then I slowly add the other half of my solution.
I need to try that. Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back