Salt Soap Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryanything

Reaction score
Sorry this is a bit long. So last night I made a salt soap. I tried to do a swirl so I essentially made two full batches, then swirled them. Didn't seem to hold due to the milk. Oh well. My question is that there are parts that are different colored then the rest of the soap that are zappy. Recipe:

Pot 1
274 gr Coconut oil
57 gr coconut milk
57 gr powdered coconut cream
39 gr lye
58 gr water
219 gr salt (80%)

Pot 2
137 gr coconut oil (colored naturally with parsley)
28 gr coconut milk
28 gr powdered coconut cream
20 gr lye
29 gr water
110 gr salt (80%)

I did 20% superfat for both pots. Added 20 gr Wake Up Rosemary FO to the big pot and 8 gr FO to the little pot. I used full water (or whatever the default is in Soapmaker3).

And this is what I have now:
005.jpg

This one shows the slight discoloration that is zapping on the soaps, as well as the white area on the tops of the pic above:
004.jpg

Any ideas why the discolorations and why only certain areas are zappy? Do you think it'll go away with a bit of a cure or is this batch a loss? Thanks for reading!

Forgot to add: The coconut milk and milk powder were mixed in with the CO. Added lye to water. Got to about 100 deg all containerse (2 lye and 2 oil/milk mix) then added lye to pots. stick blended both pots till trace, added salt to both pots. mixed well with a few bursts of stick blender, the poured little, colored pot into big pot for ITP swirl. Then poured into molds.

Which parts are zappy? Is the the outsides? Every time I use salt the batter heats up a lot. This heat would have caused the centers to saponify quicker than the cooler outsides. Just like with non salt CP soap it should finish on its own. Was it sea salt or iodized table salt and was it added to base oils or at trace?

Why are you making 2 batches. It is pretty tricky making such a little batch. Why not make a big batch then separate it and add color? How old is the soap?

Give it a few days and see if it still zaps. Your recipe definitely isn't lye heavy. With the added coconut milk and coconut cream powder, your SF should be above 20%. I don't know how much extra fat it would add, but a little. I tried to see how many grams of fat are in the powder, but gave up.

The soap doesn't look bad at all.

Sudbubbles, yes it's the outsides and those white areas on the tops of the soap that are zapppy.

Jezzy, I made two batches because the colored batch was colored naturally with parsley. Not sure how to incorporate that into a split batch. Of course, with the failed swirl anyway I guess I should have just done one batch. I've got to stop trying to swirl milk batches. Never seems to work.

Kharmon, thanks. I guess I'll give it a week or so and see if it still zaps. Not quite the color I was going for but they are definately not terrible.

Back