Salt bars and ammonia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maria

Reaction score
Today I made salt bars for the first time. I used 70% coconut oil and the rest soft oils. I added 2 lbs of sea salt to the 4 lb batch of soap after it was done cooking. I was afraid it would start getting hard but I had no problem mixing it and getting into the mold.
From everything I had read, I knew it had to be cut today rather than letting it sit until tomorrow. It was still warm when I cut it but already very hard. Some of the bars were a bit crumbly around the edges.

I ordered a base to make linen spray from WSP. I didn't notice there were no ingredients listed which wasn't smart. I mixed up a sample of the linen spray and put the rest of the base in my soap room. A couple hours later, I noticed a strong smell of ammonia in the soap room. I am guessing something in the base is reacting to the lye stored in the soap room? I say that because it was the only addition. I do not have any ammonia as I hate the smell of it. I contacted WSP, they said the ingredients are proprietary and not available. The base smells like alcohol to me. The ammonia smell is fading now that the base is out in the garage. I wonder what is in it?

It was closed but some of the base had dribbled down when I poured the sample. The problem seems to be solved now that the base is out in the garage. The smell was gone by the end of the day. Not too sure about using it now.

Back