I'm kind of freaking out

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm brand new here and fairly new to soap making. I have a safety question.

I am making hot process soap and my mouth feels a little zappy after eating in the same room that the soap is cooking in.

I was extremely careful (I'm one of those people who are afraid of dangerous chemicals) but I'm wondering if the fumes could've gotten into my food. The soap is cooking on a separate counter.

Anyone have any experience like this?

No, but how are you mixing your lye? There is something called a zap test. When you touch your tongue to lye heavy soap, it will give you a zap sensation.

I'm very much not sure what could cause that. It's possible the lye is going into the air but then you'd have that reaction earlier, not just when you're eating.

Hey everyone!

I'm brand new here and fairly new to soap making. I have a safety question.

I am making hot process soap and my mouth feels a little zappy after eating in the same room that the soap is cooking in.

I was extremely careful (I'm one of those people who are afraid of dangerous chemicals) but I'm wondering if the fumes could've gotten into my food. The soap is cooking on a separate counter.

Anyone have any experience like this?
At the risk of offending you, it may be "all in your head." Every time I mix a master batch of lye, my arms feel prickly. I have the kitchen fan on, don't hang out close to the solution, wear long sleeves, etc. Either I am extremely sensitive or it's all in my head; probably the later. :D:D:D

At the risk of offending you, it may be "all in your head." Every time I mix a master batch of lye, my arms feel prickly. I have the kitchen fan on, don't hang out close to the solution, wear long sleeves, etc. Either I am extremely sensitive or it's all in my head; probably the later. :D:D:D
I think you're right. I'm pretty sure I got a bit of heartburn at the same time and my head ran away with me.

Glad I'm not alone. 😅

Every time I mix a master batch of lye, my arms feel prickly.
This happens to me, as well. I assume it has something to do with the lye fumes. It passes quickly and leaves no lasting effects of which I'm aware.

I did repurpose some old tube socks into arm sleeves, but I rarely remember to put them on when making lye solution. This is a good reminder that it's probably best to do that.

Hot lye solution creates mist, which is droplets of the actual lye solution. Since these droplets do contain NaOH, this steamy mist can be irritating to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system.

That's why you want to mix your lye solution in an area that has good ventilation, keep the container of hot lye solution lightly covered as much as possible to contain any mist, and never stick your face over the steamy open container. But mist is heavy and is only going to be found in the local area where the hot solution is.

Once the solution cools down and isn't steamy anymore, the NaOH in the lye solution will stay put in the solution. It's not going to evaporate out of the container into the air.

What can bother me from a distance is fragrance. It can create an odd taste in my mouth, make my head stuffy, and even cause a headache.

Hot lye solution creates mist, which is droplets of the actual lye solution. Since these droplets do contain NaOH, this steamy mist can be irritating to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system.

That's why you want to mix your lye solution in an area that has good ventilation, keep the container of hot lye solution lightly covered as much as possible to contain any mist, and never stick your face over the steamy open container. But mist is heavy and is only going to be found in the local area where the hot solution is.

Once the solution cools down and isn't steamy anymore, the NaOH in the lye solution will stay put in the solution. It's not going to evaporate out of the container into the air.

What can bother me from a distance is fragrance. It can create an odd taste in my mouth, make my head stuffy, and even cause a headache.
This makes so much sense! Thank you for explaining this!

I mix my lye outside and if you're afraid of chemicals definitely buy and wear a very good respirator.
Wearing a respirator is a good idea, but it's also important to know what kind of respirator you should be using for a particular task.

For example, in my business (not a soap biz), I wear two different types -- a particulate respirator and an organic vapor respirator.

I have an article about choosing a respirator here: Soapy Stuff

Latest posts

Back