Ricing, rebatching and revolting results...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nurse_75

Reaction score
There I was all cocky after putting to bed a few nice, but simple, batches. GMS, Bastille, Cocoa/Coffee etc. All natural flavours and colours. I got a few FO's and colours to try out. I jumped in headfirst.. massive batch (well big by my standards). It was going to be a glorious floral concoction with light green hues. At least that is how I pictured it.

Applesauce quickly turned to soap-on-a-stick... but I perservered. I was going to do fabulous swirls... two blobs of green pudding sitting on said stick soap. I blended that sucker, I wasnt giving in. Result - green stick soap. I spoon smooshed it into the mould... take that! Horrible stinking mess, leaking oil, gelling furiously.

Take 2... Fruity FO took my fancy.. with golden tones. Insta-soap. I am not joking. Lye added, two swirls with spatula, turned to pick up stick blender and voila... I could have picked up the bowl, turned it upside down over my head and nothing would have fallen down. Again, I smooshed that bastard into a mould. I kind had to cut it with the spoon and scoop chunks in. Not pretty! Same stinking oil scenario.

Today - rebatch (first time doing this) both of these into vomit reminiscent sludge. Smells quite nice. I guess I will just close my eyes in the shower.

Take 3 - Success! same recipe... 1/4 total oils. (hehe, mini batch) Lavender EO, pink and purple swirls... D-vine :)

Got my swagger on...

Thanks for reading, I felt the need to share.

Sharna

I just LOLed so hard...

Soap on a stick is... fun... The first time I had it I almost cried!

Hopefully the soap gremlins are appeased with their fruity and green offerings and have moved on!

I got a good tip from soapbuddy. If you get soap on a stick, let it gel in the pot/bowl and then scoop it into the mold.

ETA, I like your sense of humor!

Oh my! What an adventure. I'd be calling that batch a bastard, too. :twisted: :lol: I'm glad you kept on and got one done worthy swaggering about.

Amazing alliteration! Thanks for sharing--sorry you got soap on a stick. That stinks.

You really did preserve! Getting that into the mold must have been quite the job!

What a rotten start, but it sound like you had an amazing outcome with a smaller sized mix.

Here's to all future soap making going well!

Thanks everyone.

I have figured with soaping you can either laugh or cry or laugh while you cry. Isnt it the most frustratingly wonderful experience?

When the second batch seized on me I did have a little dummy spit and may have let loose with a few proverbials, and perhaps kicked the kitchen cabinets :oops:

Trial and error as a good friend told me. Practice, practice, practice. It is humbling to not be proficient at something seemingly so simple. Oil, lye and water... doesnt sound that hard.

You really did preserve! Getting that into the mold must have been quite the job!
It was not pretty at all. Chunky, leaky soap batter everywhere. I cook better than I soap it seems. :wink:

Amazing alliteration!
I am a word geek. Thanks.

I got a good tip from soapbuddy. If you get soap on a stick, let it gel in the pot/bowl and then scoop it into the mold.

ETA, I like your sense of humor!
Judy that is a great tip and as soon as I read what you had posted I had that a-ha moment. Fingers crossed I wont need it for next time. :)

Hopefully the soap gremlins are appeased with their fruity and green offerings and have moved on!
From what I have heard these gremlins seem to be ever hungry and quite often come back for me. I am hoping their thirst is slaked... for now.

No soaping tonight. Kids in bed, rough day at the office (ICU nurse so you can imagine what was going on), time for a cool vino and my couch.

Sharna

If you are unhappy with the LOOK of the soap, but are happy with it otherwise, you could always FELT the soap and have a built in washcloth on the bars.

Latest posts

Back