revolting deer soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy

Reaction score
my dad has asked me if i can make him a soap that smells like that deer stuff that you use when you go out hunting. i know nothing about that stuff other than what i have heard-that it smells revolting! so... has anyone ever done that? i don't know if the scent will survive the lye monster and i don't know that it will be enough to mask my dads human scent if he washed with it. any pointers? :)

krissy said:
my dad has asked me if i can make him a soap that smells like that deer stuff that you use when you go out hunting. i know nothing about that stuff other than what i have heard-that it smells revolting! so... has anyone ever done that? i don't know if the scent will survive the lye monster and i don't know that it will be enough to mask my dads human scent if he washed with it. any pointers? :)
I believe one of the key ingredients is anise, but maybe someone who's made it before will be able to help you out.

doe in heat? it is so nasty, my hubby is a obsessed hunter and would never bathe in it, just a few drops on the top of a boot. My hubby uses a special soap on his body and clothes that takes all scent out, dont want that deer to smell ya!

[/quote]I believe one of the key ingredients is anise, but maybe someone who's made it before will be able to help you out.[/quote]

I think anise is for fishermen. Supposedly the fish'll really bite when they smell anise. :)

The nasty smell that hunters like is the doe in heat stuff, like honor said. Most hunters I know are trying to remove their own smell from their clothes and bodies and then, if they're feeling brave (or desperate!), they use the doe in heat on themselves.

yes, it is the doe in heat stuff. he wants a soap made out of it. i told him i could try it outside in the back yard with a HP batch but i don't want to do it if it wont wash off my soap stuff.

honor435 said:
doe in heat? it is so nasty, my hubby is a obsessed hunter and would never bathe in it, just a few drops on the top of a boot. My hubby uses a special soap on his body and clothes that takes all scent out, dont want that deer to smell ya!
-- my hubby same way

My hubby just said this is probably not a good idea as you do NOT want an amorous buck to be that attracted to you. Bathing in this stuff is apparently potentially dangerous and also gross! :lol:

yes, i certainly don't want a buck having his way with my dad!! :shock: i will suggest the dirt FO and see what he says...

I made a batch with cover scent (Dirt and Sweetgrass F/O, Cedarwood and Fir Needle E/O). It won't attract the deers but should cover up the "human" scent so they don't detect them so easily. I already told DH that I should probably make a body spray with the same scents for him to spray on clothes before hunting. I made the loaf look like camouflage.

His friend wanted me to make a soap with deer pee, but I don't think anything of the urine scent would make it through the lye (not that I wanted to soap that anyway).
HPIM1820.JPG

HPIM1822.JPG

No, they (DH, my brother and his kids are the hunters) probably will wait until hunting season to try it. It's only been about 3 1/2 weeks, but, yes, it does smell like dirt! I tried a couple of combinations of the f/o and e/o's to get the right scent. He picked the one closest to what he was looking for and we went with that. I'm starting to pick up the Sweetgrass, so the dirt f/o is settling down now. Not something I would use, but hey, it's cheaper for me to make and better for their skin.

They should be grateful they have you to make them the soap! Otherwise, they'd be walking around the woods, smelling like deer urine and fighting off amorous bucks. :lol:

Latest posts

Back