Researching before making soap:)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there are people here looking only to commercialize YOUR time, then they need to be taken out back and flogged. I look at this place not only as a place to learn but a place to talk. If a person is not willing to invest here emotionally, to make some "friends", then it's going to be a tough go. If however they come here with an emotional investment in grandma's recipe for face soap made with bacon drippings and measured with a pyrex measuring cup, that does not mean they wont be the next person who really gives back.
This! So much this!

Ok, am responding to my own post, definite saddo thing to do. But I was thinking about it, and the fact is that this *is* a community, if you stick around and post for long enough. After reading thousands of posts, I feel like I sort of know many of the posters here. I know their styles, some are more politic than others, but input from the old-timers is always good, no matter how it is delivered (I use the term "old-timers" advisedly, at 52 I am probably older than many/most of you.)

Don't know what to say about the selling thing, I think it is a terrible idea unless you have been doing it for a year. The soaps change so much, they have their own minds about how they want to end up. I am 4 months out and tweaking all the time, carefully and one ingredient at a time.

I don't think that making soaps you are ultimately happy with can happen fast (or at least that you really know that) although it is faster if you get good advice. Although I get how much pressure there may be on someone who has discovered that they love soapmaking, thinks they have a no-fail first time out and needs to pay childcare expenses or a mortgage. I guess I would say, be truly mindful.

Last edited:
Dang, it's a steep hill in some ways, Lee. I still look and (usually) feel pretty young, but the number is weird to deal with.

Edited to add: Apropos of nothing soap related, but connected to feeling old. I have been watching back episodes of "Parenthood" on Netflix, and this actor, Josh Stamberg, has popped up, he seems to show up constantly on TV these days as the hunky, 40-something romantic interest.

I typed up that guy's college applications because his mom was my boss when I was in my early/mid 20's, I really resented having to do it (*so* not work related, and it was in a place where people did not usually pull rank like that.) Every time I see him I think of him standing outside my cube as a sort of hulking, silent, football playerish high school kid. It really upsets the believability factor for me *and* makes me feel old. Weird, the things that do that.

Last edited:
I am 60 and probably the oldest one:) It is nice to know that the most valuable posters are in my age range. Now I feel at home.:p I have theory that for older people earth moves faster:sad: Year is like 15 minutes..........

Well, guys...I am 52, and was happily preparing "someday" to be a grandmother. I felt old, I thought old. It really is sad when you get old in your brain. However, don't give up hope. I have been divorced since 1998, and happily so, swore off of men LONG ago.

However, last weekend I got the shock of my life when my very dear friend of 3 + years told me that he thought we were more than friends. My mind was absolutely blown. Suddenly the floodgates were open. Suddenly everything I thought I never needed or wanted in my life was possible again. I am now happily engaged to my best friend, and trying to get our lives in order to marry and me to move to Texas. Since this has been less than a week, we have no dates set, but it will happen, and I no longer feel old in the least.

I am 60 and probably the oldest one:) It is nice to know that the most valuable posters are in my age range. Now I feel at home. I have theory that for older people earth moves faster:sad: Year is like 15 minutes..........
Nope Gottcha beat, 66 here

:D
Well, guys...I am 52, and was happily preparing "someday" to be a grandmother. I felt old, I thought old. It really is sad when you get old in your brain. However, don't give up hope. I have been divorced since 1998, and happily so, swore off of men LONG ago.

However, last weekend I got the shock of my life when my very dear friend of 3 + years told me that he thought we were more than friends. My mind was absolutely blown. Suddenly the floodgates were open. Suddenly everything I thought I never needed or wanted in my life was possible again. I am now happily engaged to my best friend, and trying to get our lives in order to marry and me to move to Texas. Since this has been less than a week, we have no dates set, but it will happen, and I no longer feel old in the least.
Congratulations Susie, life can definetly take many turns. I wish you all the best and your are still a youngster!!

Oh, THAT's what you meant when you said in another post that your life was all topsy-turvy, but in a good way. BEST WISHES to you both!!!! :)

Oh my gosh Susie thats such fun news!! I wish ALL the best for you two :)

Back to the original tangent - I turn 50 this month. I was so sure I would be more mature by now...

Congrats Susie! How wonderful to be this Blessed with re-connecting with your best friend. At 53 this is a wonderful time of life; just wish the body could keep up.

Congrats Susie; may sun always shine on you, and your days shall be filled by happiness.

When you love someone all your saved up wishes start coming out:)

Congrats, Susie! Love always finds its way, especially when you're not looking for it.

Back