Remelting and adding herbals

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phyllis

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know if it is effective to remelt soap to add in herbal infusions? I read somewhere that the properties of herbs can be kept if they are added after saponification, that is, rebatching without adding new oils/lye. Let me know if anyone has a take on this.

Unfortunately I have to agree. Also, I am now careful about what in the way of herbs I use in soap. Many dried herbs can be very scratchy in the soap and may work better as a decorative topping. Most of the time if I want herbs in my soap I do either an oil infusion or a water infusion. For water infusions I do these within a few days of soaping so they are still fresh. Oil infusions can keep longer.

For example I make my own lavender water using crushed dried lavender buds. I infuse then in distilled water and use that for my lye solution. Then I use a light sprinkling of buds on the top of the soap. The lavender water really makes a difference in the soap. I have the best smelling lavender soap I ever made. I still use lavender FO but the lavender water gives the scent a boost and staying power.

I tried using dried eucalyptus leaf in my soap once. What a mistake! It was so scratchy I had to bag it. Thats what I mean by being careful using herbs. For the most part I have good success with oil or tea infusions using herbs.

Thanks for the great advice! I've just made an infusion of fresh lavender and oil to add to my next batch. Does an infusion with water work the same of oil?

I haven't tried infusing oil with lavender but have heard of it. It should work nicely for you.

I started using lavender water because I wanted to learn how to make lavender water, rose water, etc. I wanted to use it in my soap as my lye water so I tried it.

I wanted to be able to add herbal infusions to my soap for their herbal properties, but the more I read the more I think the herbal properties don't survive saponification, other than scent in some cases. Disappointing. I live in a rural area and have lots of wild plants that i would like to use in soap, but it doesn't sound like any medicinal properties remain after the lye and oils interact. I have made some cottonwood resin soap that has a lovely smell and color, and I know that pine tar's therapeutic properties survive the soap making, so maybe "balm of Gilead" does too.

For example I make my own lavender water using crushed dried lavender buds. I infuse then in distilled water and use that for my lye solution. Then I use a light sprinkling of buds on the top of the soap. The lavender water really makes a difference in the soap. I have the best smelling lavender soap I ever made. I still use lavender FO but the lavender water gives the scent a boost and staying power.

What color is your finished product, if I may ask? I infused Lavender buds with water last evening and it is a really pretty purple! I JUST added the Lye and it is now a murky yellowish brown....which I sorta figured would happen.... Do you use any other colorants?

Back