Recipe Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavender.dreams.candles

Reaction score
I want to make some Goats Milk & Oatmeal soap tonight and I'm using my 2 lb. mold... measurements are 3.5X9X3.5.....Well, I ran the recipe I have threw my lye calc. and came up with this....
Palm - 14.94
Coconut - 14.94
Olive - 2.99
Lye - 4.98
Water - 11.65
GM - 5.98
Oatmeal - 8.97

Well, I was just wondering if this seems like a good recipe as I haven't tried making gm & oatmeal yet.

When you ran it through soapcalc , did it give you the qualities you are looking for in your soap ?

well, this is what I put it in the soapcalc ..
10 oz. palm
4 oz. coconut
2 oz. olive
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup goats milk
2 oz. lye
1/2 cup water

So, I put that recipe threw and then put the dimensions of my mold and got what I posted earlier.
I was just wondering if that seems right because I've never really worked with my olive oil so I didn't know if that was to little or if I should add more or what others thought.

You could try splitting the 16 oz of oils into 3 equal parts and see what soap calc says .

lavender.dreams.candles said:
I want to make some Goats Milk & Oatmeal soap tonight and I'm using my 2 lb. mold... measurements are 3.5X9X3.5.....Well, I ran the recipe I have threw my lye calc. and came up with this....
Palm - 14.94
Coconut - 14.94
Olive - 2.99
Lye - 4.98
Water - 11.65
GM - 5.98
Oatmeal - 8.97

Well, I was just wondering if this seems like a good recipe as I haven't tried making gm & oatmeal yet.

I would recheck your lye calculations. You will have a lye heavy soap if you make it this way. Also your liquid amount is way too high. At most you would use 12 oz of liquid total between the water and milk and that's without a discount. Personally I would use a little more coconut oil to 15-18% and reduce the palm oil to give it a higher bubble number.

Latest posts

Back