recipe help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKristen

Reaction score
I have tried a few batches of soap and they seem pretty drying. I need help coming up with a more moisturizing/conditioning recipe. Here is the last one I tried.

11.25 oz olive oil
3.75 palm oil
3.75 coconut oil
2.5 castor oil
2.5shea butter

8.25 oz liquid (I do 5 oz water and the rest coconut milk)
3.5 lye

How does this look? I truly appreciate any suggestions

You could increase superfat to make soap less drying. Your recipe looks really good.

It does look good.

If you want a more mild soap, do you have any softer oils like avocado or apricot kernel oil? If you drop the coconut oil to 2 oz, then add 2 oz of one of these softer oils, you will increase your conditioning properties and decrease your cleansing. I had one person tell me she always tries to get her conditioning over 70. Yours, as written, is at 64, with a cleansing of 11.

Also, I was told that babassu is just as cleansing as coconut oil, but doesn't dry the skin out as coconut does. And I agree. My favorite soap uses babassu and no coconut.

How long have you cured your soap for? It gets milder the longer it cures.

I will admit that I fins most soaps dry my skin out a bit. I like to keep my cleansing below 10 and my conditioning on the upper end of the scale. I am completely in love with my 10% coconut, 5% castor, 5% Shea butter, 80% olive recipe that's cured for 3 months. It's lightly bubbly, silky and not drying.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am using oils that a[*]re readily available nearby, but I do have a soapmaking supply shop about 20 min away so I will see if they have the basseau and avocado oil. I've let them cure about 3 weeks and I tried one batch CPOP with a one week cure, I just started soaping 3 weeks ago so I am so anxious to use my soap!

I'm not very good at being patient either and waiting for my soaps to cure! But you will be rewarded if you wait a bit longer. I think that's probably your problem, not your recipe. Even a CPOP soap should cure for 6 weeks. I found my olive oil heavy soap even better after 3 months.

My waiting patience is also very small, so I fill an icecube tray of silicone with soap before I fill the large mold.
There are only 10 grams each, so they dry/cure quickly. =
10 small pieces of testsoap, I can use when patience bursts.
Ok, it's not quite the same as a large piece of soap, but it works for me. :thumbup:

I think your recipe looks good except for the lye amount. Which calculator did you use to figure the lye? I used SoapCalc to check your recipe and I came up with 3.2 oz lye for 5% SF. You have 3.5 oz which would be a lye excess of 4% . Is this a typo or did you actually use 3.5 oz? Because if you did use that much, the soap would have been lye heavy.

Hazel - I forgot to add the 1.25 oz of lard I also used in my recipe, which may increase the lye amount. I used brambleberry soap calc.

Thanks for letting me know. I added in the lard and then checked your recipe on BB's calculator. It listed 3.545 oz lye for a 0% SF and 3.474 oz lye for 2% SF. What did percentage did you add for the SF? Because it looks like you either used 0% or 2% if you rounded the 3.474 amount. I'd recommend at least 5% SF or slightly higher. I generally use 7% or 8% SF.

I did put a 5% superfat, at least I thought that I had. I did the calculations with percentage, I am still trying to figure out how to do it with ounces.

maybe try some hp? it gets hard in one wk(dont use full amt of water). Also, with your cp you can use less water.

MKristen said:
I did put a 5% superfat, at least I thought that I had. I did the calculations with percentage, I am still trying to figure out how to do it with ounces.

I think BB's calculator is tricky to use because of the way you have to input everything and then make sure you change the SF from the default 0%. It's very easy to forget to change it. Also, I don't like how it takes you to the calculations but if you want to change anything, you have to enter everything all over again. I prefer SoapCalc since it has the SF default set at 5% (I used to forget about it in the beginning) and it opens the calculations in a separate tab. Then I can look at the recipe and easily change it if I want without having to re-enter the amounts/percentages.

Have you made this bar yet?

That looks like a really conditioning and creamy bar! I've been looking to make something like this .....however is the caster oil % too high that it's going to create a sticky bar? I've heard to keep the caster oil at around 5-6% but yours is at 10%

And what about the INS level? Yours says it's 135 and ideal range is 136-165..is 135 ok then?

is there anything special that needs to be done to use coconut milk or do u just substitue some of teh water for it? Is it as difficult as using dairy milk?

I just checked your recipe out on SoapCalc and it looks like a perfectly fine recipe, but like Hazel pointed out, it's telling me that your superfat is set rather low (SoapCalc says 1% ). And yes- I included your lard amount of 1.25 oz in case you were wondering. :) That would make it quite drying indeed, unless you have super-tough, oily skin. :) Have you checked your soap for zap to make sure it isn't lye heavy? That would be my first concern with a low superfat like that.

RobinHoodFan said:
however is the caster oil % too high that it's going to create a sticky bar? I've heard to keep the caster oil at around 5-6% but yours is at 10%

I'm not MKristin, but in my estimation the castor amount should be fine. I use 10% in my 50% OO soap and it's not sticky. The 5%-6% 'rule' is not really a written-in-stone kind of rule. I've found that much depends on your recipe and the other oils you use in your formula. I use as hgh as 23% castor in one of my formulas, and 20% in another and they are not sticky at all.

RobinHoodFan said:
And what about the INS level? Yours says it's 135 and ideal range is 136-165..is 135 ok then?

Some soapers pay attention to INS levels, but I've found them to be such inconsistent indicators that they have become irrelevant to me, and I totally ignore them now when I formulate my recipes. Not the the 'ideal ranges' on SoaCalc are 100% reliable anyway (which they are not, in my experience).

IrishLass :)

I'm new myself, but when I put that recipe in to my soap calc on iPhone, it gave me 2.88oz lye when i figured for the lard it gave me 3.03 for lye. My understanding is that if your recipe is lye heavy, it can make for a more crumbly and harsh soap.

Thank you for all the responses! I just read a lot on castor oil and as a newbie I didnt realize that could be too high.

I just did a new recipe taking into consideration some of these tips, I used bb's soapcalc again because I am truly having a hard time figuring out the others.

My new recipe is
11.70 oz olive oil
5.20 coconut oil
3.12 lard
2.60 shea

Looks good to me! I like castor in batches but this looks like it's going to be conditioning enough without it. Please let us know how it turns out. :D

Looks like i submitted my reply before I was done. Oops!,

Included in the above recipe is
2.08 oz castor
1.30 palm (was about all I had left)
6 oz h20
2.6 coconut milk added at trace
3.513 lye
Should be a 6% SF

Latest posts

Back