REBATCHING SUCKS!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittywings

Reaction score
I just had to murder my beautiful new goat milk shaving soaps just because they were sweating a little lye here and there (due to me being silly)... they even had a beautiful creamy lather. Now they are part of a big orange mass.
:(
To make it a little easier on myself emotionally, I made another batch of the same soap with a little yellow dock root beforehand... using coconut cream powder (LOVE the Asian grocery store BTW... it was like a wonderland!) AND orange blossom water. In my mind, I will get a beautifully creamy light pink ladies' shaving soap.... if it doesn't turn out like that SOMEONE WILL DIE!

Running for cover :wink: and crossing fingers and toes that it works.

I don't rebatch anymore ( I absolutely hate rebatching and don't have good luck with it ).I shred the soap and use it for adding to other soap. I keep them in double ziplocks in the freezer .

Kitn

I shredded it and added it to a new batch but it still always looks jacked up afterwards.

:cry: IT WAS SO PRETTY!!!! :cry:

kittywings said:
I shredded it and added it to a new batch but it still always looks jacked up afterwards.

:cry: IT WAS SO PRETTY!!!! :cry:

My rebatched soap looks _exactly like_ dryer lint. No joke! It has this weird blue-grey tinge, and specs with other colors in it. I feel your pain. :(

you are not making me feel very hopeful for the batch i was planning on rebatching. if there isn't anything wrong with a batch of soap other that you don't like it, can you cut it up into chunks and pour a new batch over it?

I don't see why it would be a problem. My rebatches have been fine- usage wise... they're just ugly. :cry:

I had to rebatch recently and uses something that was posted on here a while ago,

Grate your fugly soap up, melt it with some new oil, the soap will, melt better, once this is done, add your lye water, let it cook out as normal, as it looks like it gelling but that's the previous soap, pour as normal, I could hardly tell the difference. No specks (I do know what you mean by that to I have my kitchen soap that was a rebatch!), nice and smooth, well as smooth as you can get with CPOP. Try it.

krissy said:
you are not making me feel very hopeful for the batch i was planning on rebatching. if there isn't anything wrong with a batch of soap other that you don't like it, can you cut it up into chunks and pour a new batch over it?

heh, don't let us scare you. The dryer lint soap turned out to be something of a hit because it resembled it's namesake enough my friends found it hilarious. For that one, all I did was a dirt-basic shred and melt with water in the microwave until it's vaseliney enough to glop into a mold kind of thing. Also I was using the end pieces of like 8 different soap batches (all had been colored), so it was quite a mix.

I did another rebatch, very similar to the method vivcarm described that turned out much better in the looks department, although I wouldn't expect to get any nice swirls and whatnot out of it (I'm sure some insanely talented people can swirl rebatch, but I'm definitely not there yet).

I haven't had much success with rebatching, have grated soap and added to another soap though. One soap I didn't like the perfume of, I have now started grating it up and using it in a bucket of cleaning water. Smells fine used to clean out the kitchen cupboards, the oils hopefully will condition the wood, and saves me buying a cleaning liquid.

I have rebatched twice and both times it came out looking like loafs of puke. Not worth the electricity to keep the stove going for over an hour.

Kitn said:
I shred the soap and use it for adding to other soap. I keep them in double ziplocks in the freezer .
Kitn

Thanks...great tip!
That would keep moisture in the soap and help with the rebatch! Cool beans!--No, cool soap!

I've tried it in the crockpot --it burns
I did the boiling method (twice) it doesn't completly all melt for me and take too long.

The next method I am going to try is putting it in a crockpot, cover with water, put the lid on and let it sit overnight. Next morning drain it off and then melt it down. I'll let ya know how it goes :?

Dixie said:
I've tried it in the crockpot --it burns
I did the boiling method (twice) it doesn't completly all melt for me and take too long.

The next method I am going to try is putting it in a crockpot, cover with water, put the lid on and let it sit overnight. Next morning drain it off and then melt it down. I'll let ya know how it goes :?

I like your idea Dixie. Based on my limited experience, the right amount of water is key. Too little and your soap won't melt and too much you have soft soap that's screwed. If you let it soak overnight, it absorbs the water and hopefully it will melt easily. Hopefully you add the right amount!

I try to immediately rebatch bad soap (like my nasty fruit punch soap) less than a day old because I usually don't have to add water or just a Tbsp. Then I put it in the oven like I was going to HP it. When it's melted I beat it with a hand mixer so it's super smooth and put in individual molds. I do have to trim off a bunch to make the bottoms smooth. Also they are soft for about a month. I let them cure like they were CP. They're not perfect, but usable.

x

in the soap recipes and tutorials inodoro pereyra posted a great tutorial NEW REBATCHING TECHNIQUE with pics.

his soap turned out so lovely that the next time i blow a batch i'm going to try this.

i agree about wrapping and cooling the flop so there's little moisture loss.

krissy said:

Rebatching isn't so bad you just have to get used to a method. Like for me I love rebatching in the oven. It makes the soap fluid but not like liquid. Take a look at my blog and you will see how I do it! If you want to of course lol

I just unmolded part of my rebatch and forgot that it was the rebatched stuff! It's color is somehow a light pink-y beige (right now) and look really smooth!

WTH?

Latest posts

Back