Rebatching Rivers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbers

Reaction score
Hey y'all. This is probably a dumb question but I'm kind of a re-batch noob. I've only re-batched soap twice with scraps I collected from planing so I'm not sure if the same rules apply to messed up soap. Yesterday I made some honey soap that over heated and caused some nasty glycerin rivers.:sad: I was wondering if I shred it up and dump it into the crockpot for rebatching is there is anything special I should do or keep in mind? I'm assuming that melting it all down and mixing it up again will take care of the issue, but I'm just checking to make sure before I start. Thanks

Yes, if your soap is fresh, you can shred it or chunk it up and it should melt pretty well. Some people add a little milk to help it smooth out for better pouring. There won't be any rivers in the rebatch.

Last edited:
Well Alaska Beauty you got me second guessing myself now... I'm pretty sure its just glycerin rivers from the over heating... It's a recipe I've familiar with. I usually make my honey soaps in a flat slab mold but this time I used a loaf mold and I was trying to keep an eye on it and it went from no gel to almost volcano action between peeking sessions.

honey-rose-soap-problems-818.html

Its hard to tell from the picture, as it's suppose to have a two tone affect and get much darker with a lighter honey colored swirly blob thing going through it. I only just cut it today so it hasn't reached peak brown-ness yet.

honey rose.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not really sure I'd jump right into rebatching an otherwise fine soap. It honestly looks quite nice to me. The colors may morph or darken with time, if the lack of contrast is why you don't like how it looks. I guess my thought is that you ain't gonna make it any prettier than it already is by rebatching, so why not give it some time?

I am not sure what you are referring to as "glycerin rivers"? I am sure it is something apprant to you, but I really can't tell what you are looking at. I would give it a few days and see how it is.

I agree with DeeAnna - rebatching is not going to improve the appearance of this soap, which looks fine to me. I'd leave it be.

Back