quick question: hydrogenated fats

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looks like I've decided on 3 different recipes to try for my first soaping adventure next week, and lard is in one of them so I got a block from Wal Mart. Didn't think to look at the ingredients until I got home.

It contains a combination of lard and hydrogenated lard, (with chemicals....next time gonna get better quality)

We're not supposed to eat hydrogenated oils, what about using them on skin? Are the molecules small enough to be absorbed?

I've never actually seen store bought lard that wasn't hydrogenated, many members on here use that kind with no problem. I can't answer the absorption question though but its not something I'd worry about.

I think the molecules are a little too big to penetrate into your vascular system and affect your health the way eating the fats would.

That's what I'm hoping; I know there's quite a few things the skin can't absorb. I also wonder what changes the hydrogenated lard goes through with saponification. Anyway, for now I'll use it. But should I find I like lard soaps, I'll get better stuff. Thanks!

That's the only kind of lard I use. Matter of fact, I just bought a 4 lb tub of the stuff. I did not know any better to start with, and it certainly is cheaper than ordering it online.

I was a wonderin'...

If I were to buy non hydrogenated lard, do you have to somehow compensate for that? Not too familiar with non hydrogenated but hydrogenated seems pretty fluffy.

It sits under my sink. My grandmother used to buy 25 lb tins of the stuff, and they sat behind the table. She lived in coastal Louisiana without air conditioning. And since she lived alone at that time, I would imagine that tin lasted better than a year.

Right now I have a 4lb bucket from WalMart in the laundry room. There's what's left of a 1lb block in the fridge just because it's small and might get set down somewhere and lost. Seems a lot of time is spent walking around muttering, "where the devil did I put that...". :-( :smile: I love my lard. Yummy! The only thing better is lot's of bacon grease. All things porky is a good thing.

Last edited:
@ Robert - if you measure by weight and not by volume, the extra fluffiness of the hydrogenated lard doesn't matter.

@ Babypickles - I leave mine out. I keep all my soaping stuff in the basement, so it is on the cool side, but no-where near refridgerated. I will admit that if I intend to cook with it, I usually go by a fresh bucket.

"...If I were to buy non hydrogenated lard, do you have to somehow compensate for that?..."

The saponification value of lard will be the same, whether the lard is partly hydrogenated or not. Hydrogenation just makes the fat more saturated, so it is less likely to go rancid as fast. The added antioxidants help with that too.

If lard is rendered properly (meaning it does not contain water or non-fat tissues) and is used reasonably soon, will be fine to store at room temperature. If you occasionally render your own on a hobby basis, I'd refrigerate or freeze -- the likelihood of trace impurities is higher, so the chance of spoilage is also higher.

Latest posts

Back