Question on keeping Glycerine heated...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeginnerDad

Reaction score
Making soap for the first time with my 5 year old...2 pounds, using 5 mica colors, I have everything prepped, bit one thing I can not find the answer to...
I imagine we won't be moving very quickly...can I say just do 2 colors in 2 small cups and leave the remainder of the glycerine on the low heat in the double burner for a bit while dealing with those 2 colors then the glycerine on the heat can still be used after just being kept warm on the stove? Is there a imit to how long I can keep the glycerine warm?

I have silicon cups for the seperate colors, we dont have a microwave, could i just hold those in the low boiling water to remelt the glycerine if it hardens?

And should I wait a few minutes between latering colors? we are using a variety of mold sizes, from very small to medium...

Thanks! Just want project unicorn soap to go smooth...

Do you mean melt and pour soap base? Glycerine is liquid.

If you mean melt and pour soap base, try searching the forum for mp, m&p, melt and pour. Or head over to the melt and pour section of the forum.

If you don't get an answer, you might want to repost with a new title like "keeping MP heated" to get a response.

It's best to check the instructions for your specific base, as those can differ from brand to brand. But in general, yes, you can keep the base on low heat for a little bit while you are splitting colors, etc.

However, if you are wanting one layer to firm up before pouring the next layer on top of it, that can take awhile, depending on your room temperature, the base that you are using. Honestly, I've found it best to melt only the amount needed to create the first layer. When it is almost firm enough for the second layer to go on top, then I melt the base for the second layer, and get it colored and scented. That way, I'm not keeping the base heated for such a long time. :)

Latest posts

Back