Question about soy wax....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Is the soy waxed used to make candles the same soy wax people talk about using in B&B products, to replace beeswax?

I have a ton of Eco Soy CB & PB and am wondering if I can use this in a salve.

This might be a "duh" - but I just want to make sure it's okay before I do it!

Yes, it is the same. However, I like to use the soy for container candle wax-the one with the lower melt point - the best.

Not all soy waxes are created equal. Some are skin safe, and some are not. You need to make sure from your supplier that the soy wax you are using is skin safe before adding it to B&B products.

Only a teensy amt of experience on this but I did 2 small lotionbars,one with beeswax,the other with soy wax & found the soy one was more draggy & waxy feeling. Perhaps its not a straight swap out,dunno,but Im saving mine for candles anyhoo

If you are talking EcoSoya, then yes. Other waxes perhaps not.

http://www.ngiwax.com/resources/qa.html?group=7

Can EcoSoya™ waxes be used in cosmetic applications?
The contents of EcoSoya™ waxes are considered Generally Regarded as Safe (GRAS) under the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. GRAS Definition: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), has its own set of standards by which it tests substances for human use. GRAS is a term that stands for generally regarded as safe. When you see a FDA GRAS designation, the FDA has tested and passed whatever the substance is for use by people.

I have a really easy recipe that I use to make Soybean Soap, with SoyWax, Lard, Coconut Oil, and it makes a really nice bubbly hard bar of soap.

I agree a 115 melt point soy probably would be best, but I used a 100 Pure soywax with a 125 MP, and it was great .

I use the Eco - CB135. I also find Beeswax to be a little draggy and adding a tad of cyclo helps.

Latest posts

Back