Question about Neem oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
HI everyone,
Ive browsed thru the 285 topics regarding Neem oil. Most of them state Neem's properties or recipes using it. What I'd like to know is how do you hide the horrible scent? Or how little is too little to be beneficial? I made a acne soap for my sister & I put so much FO in it to cover the neem that that's all she can smell after she washes her face! I'm making a HP facial soap for my BF now. I only put in 1 ml of neem in a 4 oz batch but I dont know if that's enough to be beneficial. Any tips/comments/help will be greatly appreciated! :D

I haven't found a way to hide the odor of neem oil. I've used mint eo & rosemary eo to kind of work with the medicinal smell of neem. You could also probably try tea tree or maybe a little petitgrain or citrus eo.
I don't use it in soap though since soap gets rinsed off right away and all that lovely oil gets washed down the drain :( But I have heard that letting neem soap cure longer helps air out the scent.

I put it in a hair oil treatment and blegh! I couldn't hide it, I ended up doubling my batch with the other oils, its better but I can still smell it

You don't need a lot of it in your recipes, in fact this is one that less is better and it is recommended as low as 3% - 5%. When it's that low it becomes easier to mask.

Latest posts

Back