Question about making liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ycartf

Reaction score
Hello ands thanks for reading this. I have done a little more than a dozen batches of CP with no major problems, so I thought I would try making some liquid soap. I ordered some KOH and made my first batch of liquid soap last night. While it is definitely usable, I think I should have made it with no superfatting (did 2%) and in actuality should have made it with excessive lye - then neutralized it after sap - according to some sources. But my main question is - after the hours of mixing/mashing/fighting that mix - is it possible to save that long process time by just mixing it to trace, pouring (like CP), letting it set/cure until it reaches whatever state it can/does, then grating/diluting it (and neutralizing it if necessary)? I searched but could find nothing pertaining to this particular question. Thanks for any advice/insight you can provide, and have a great day!

I think you can. One thing you will lose that way is your soap will not be clear. It needs all that cooking time to cook off the excess fatty acids that are in the oil that is needed to make clear soap. If you do make a batch that way I think you have to let it set 2 to 3 weeks to allow the lye time to do its job. I have always cooked it 3 to 5 hours. As of late I use a crocpot, it takes a little longer but it is easy that way. I love my crocpot.

Bruce

Back