Purchasing tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about the price point on this product as I don't use Tallow anymore but that is going to be impossible to get out of that container as is. You would have to melt it in the bottle and that is tough and takes time. You could cut the top off and scoop it out into a wide mouthed container. Tallow is soft but solid. It will not pour out. I don't know why suppliers put them up this way. When I use to use Tallow in my soaps, I did not bother to refrigerate it at all. Just kept it in a really cool spot when not in use. It lasted a long time, still fresh. I think I would get it from Colombus Oils in a cube if I were to order some more. You could check out their prices for comparison but I know they charge for shipping. They are fast and reliable. I get my coconut oil from them. Alot of soapers on this forum use them for their oils.

Wow is that expensive!!!! I don't know the price of the 7 lb bottle from Columbus, but the 50 lb cube is $0.80/lb. You're looking at $3.56/lb from essential depot. A 7 lb bottle from Columbus is $1.65/lb.

Most suppliers ship the 7 lb bottles in gallon jugs as shown. To get it out of the bottle without melting the whole thing, just cut the top off partially and scoop out.

The one at ED includes shipping and if I get 2 for the discount it comes to $39 total, the one at Soaper's Choice (Columbus), with shipping is $20 for 1, or $40 for 2, so it comes out to about the same.

I wonder if one is better tallow than the other?

ETA: If the Soaper's Choice one is in a block, that would be awesome. I had to cut open the bottom of my palm to melt it down, and good grief I made a mess.

I sucked it up and ordered 20lbs of suet from the butcher, I'll have it friday :D

Hi I was just curious...so did you render the tallow?? and if so how? and of course how did your soap come out? :)

Back