problems with soap making in my home

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaturtle

Reaction score
Hi. I am seaturtle and this is my first post. I have been reading many threads in this forum and have gotten good information. Here is my story. I have been making soap for about a year, countless batches. I am confident with my trusted recipes. I have been thinking about selling soap sometime in the future. However, the first roadblock is our home owners association which does not allow residents to operate a business out of their home. I know if I would approach them to get permission for making soap, they would turn me down (especially when they hear about the lye).

I am wondering if anyone has come across this obstacle or if anyone has any suggestions. I would have to register my business with our town and I sure don't feel comfortable with it when the HOA does not permit a business. What is the "right" thing to do?

My HOA does not allow a business in our home, but it is mostly because they do not want people visiting the business, which would bring increased traffic to the neighborhood. I wonder if you tell them that there will be no customers coming to your home, if they would allow it.

HTH

My HOA doesn't like home businesses. Their reasoning is that even if people aren't shopping at your house, there is still extra traffic in the neighborhood from UPS, Fed Ex, etc. They sited some statistic (that I could never find anywhere) that extra traffic means higher crime. :roll: Like the Fed Ex and UPS guy I'm on first name basis with might be hardened criminals. My point was plenty of people shop online and the Fed Ex and UPS man are in our neighborhood already delivering other people's online purchases. I don't sell soap but they're sure at my house enough. :lol:

Chances are that one of your neighbors also runs daycare from their home. Or sells on Ebay. Or makes art or pottery or builds websites from home. If you aren't selling it directly from your house, I wouldn't feel bad about making the soap there and selling it online or at other locations. Maybe talk to your HOA and see what they say specifically.

I'd be above board with any potential restrictions.

Like everyone said, if you explain that it's a "no customer" business then you'll likely have a good chance at them giving you a waiver.

FWIW - where I live the restrictions on businesses by HOAs are indexed with the zoning department and they won't issue the home occupation permit for certain addresses without the waiver.

Well this is just my opinion,

What your neighbors do behind their closed doors is their business.
What you do behind yours is your business.
I really don't feel that you should be required to mention it at all as long as you don't intend to have people coming to your home to "shop".

I have both of my businesses in my home and I also have a city business license.
My business license isn't one where I can have customers "coming to my house" as I'm not zoned for it.

I do internet sales, farmers market, in home parties, festivals, and also have my items in my aunt's salon....there's no way I'd have time to wait on customers popping into the house.

I doubt if most of my neighbors even know that I have my businesses and I really could care less if they did

:D

Thank you everyone for your input. I think I am on the right track. I agree, it truly does not matter what the neighbors think. There will be no business traffic in front of my home. And I would be making soap anyway, whether I sell it or not. Thanks again for your feedback.

It's very easy to get a business address and license for the state of Delaware. Get the address there along with a service to forward all the mail. I know lots of companies do it but I don't know any more than that.

Back