Pressure to soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I bought some new supplies but I'm not soaping them. I dont for sure know why. I worry about scents left in plastic but I keep telling myself they'll be soaped in no time and out of their 1 oz bottles. I think tomorrow I'll do a batch with a scent I really like that recently arrived.

Is there anyone else who feels this laid back way about soap or wants to? Or maybe I'm just better at other hobbies. I hate to admit that but they're more restful and if something doesn't work out, take it apart and do it a different way. If you saved the tag and receipt sometimes you can even return what is unused. Soap is pretty final unless you rebatch. It says I am what you made me but is very enjoyable. I have six bars altogether in the bathroom (sink and tub) that weren't great looking but once you wash with them, all smooth. I have set them out as objets d'art that smell good, too. One is a nice solid paperweight.

im the same way with art. I have a talent for painting yet I waste it everyday that goes by. I have hundreds of dollars worth of quality art supplies but still they just "sit." I have to feel MOVED to sacrifice my precious time off to do things that will bring me the most joy (whatever that may be at the present time). There's no right or wrong with this, If there are other hobbies or activities that bring you more happiness than soap, then i say do it! Soap when you feel like it but dont let it get you down if you put it off. Life is too short to do what you dont "feel" like doing :)

I agree with rocknroyalty there. Do what makes you happy. Creativity is expressed through different means as the mood strikes. I have a great talent for writing it I haven't sat down to write for years. It would be forced and show it if I tried. My mother is a great chef but only in her terms - she could never run a commercial kitchen for the frustration it would bring her. If you have something you want to do besides make soap, then do it. You'll be back when you're ready for something challenging and comforting and smells goodsy.

I agree with both of you. I picture someone who makes soap for a living and they might have a soap room or shed. I think that would help alot. A special place for it that keeps you from feeling that with cooking also, your hands are constantly in the kitchen sink. PIzzas have been ordered from me making soap and looking weary, which is fun but can get expensive. I don't recommend anyone make jewelry the way I do which is on the couch and beads inevitably roll and they jump too and blend right into the tweedy carpet Discipline is lacking here. :!: Then you look up at TV and you misdo a row. The same goes for yarn projects. At least with soap your eye is right on that pot with you standing over it until done. On a good, free day with music going and the weather is miserable it's great. I wasn't that good about soaping last summer.

I am impatiently waiting for one of my oils so I can soap. I have several pages of ideas that I want to try, not to mention new EOs and FOs to put in these new soaps. I got a free sample FO that smells wonderful that I want to use. I have hoarded a whole bunch of tp rolls to make embeds. I have everything I need except 1 daggone thing. So I am looking at everyone elses soap pics, and cutting out flower shaped cupcake holders from cardstock to keep myself busy....lol! Not to mention burning the crap out of my fingers with my glue gun. I think I am going to go sew myself an apron this afternoon just for something different to do.

Hi Maythorn,
I wouldn't worry about the FOs in plastic for now. They'll last in plastic for years. I have had, I think, 3 plastic bottles break since '99, but they were several years old. Store your FOs in a cool, dark place and they should be fine for quite a while.
I find if I keep frequenting the forums, I keep inspired, so that's what I try to do when I want to get some soaping done.

I am impatiently waiting for one of my oils so I can soap. I have several pages of ideas that I want to try, not to mention new EOs and FOs to put in these new soaps. I got a free sample FO that smells wonderful that I want to use. I have hoarded a whole bunch of tp rolls to make embeds. I have everything I need except 1 daggone thing. So I am looking at everyone elses soap pics, and cutting out flower shaped cupcake holders from cardstock to keep myself busy....lol! Not to mention burning the crap out of my fingers with my glue gun. I think I am going to go sew myself an apron this afternoon just for something different to do.

What oil are you waiting for? Just curious

Hi Maythorn,
I wouldn't worry about the FOs in plastic for now. They'll last in plastic for years. I have had, I think, 3 plastic bottles break since '99, but they were several years old. Store your FOs in a cool, dark place and they should be fine for quite a while.
I find if I keep frequenting the forums, I keep inspired, so that's what I try to do when I want to get some soaping done.

Yep coming here makes such a difference. If I didn't have SMF or the Scent Review forum to look at, I'd be a soaping deadbeat. Thank you for that information about the plastic bottles, Marilyna. It's been less then a month the new 1 oz scents have been nagging at me. One is chocolate so that should be really fun.

2lilboots the toilet paper roll sounds so fun. I wonder if with individual molds I could pour two colors simultaneously. I hope you get your oil very soon. I bet the outcome wil be a feast for us in the Photo forum.:thumbup:

Can you run down to Walmart and pick some up? I get mine there or a local grocery store. It's kinda expensive $5.99 for 31.5 fl oz (which is 29.5 by weight, by the way).

Can you run down to Walmart and pick some up? I get mine there or a local grocery store. It's kinda expensive $5.99 for 31.5 fl oz (which is 29.5 by weight, by the way).

Sure I could, but I am not going to buy good ole Lou Anas coconut oil. I have actually done that twice in my soaping past, but it is such a temporary fix.

Latest posts

Back