Pouring mix then "gelling/setting" - what is your process?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic - Unlike Deanna and Seawolfe, I totally just put my soap in the oven or wrapped and towels and assume "all we be well". And it almost always is. I had one batch seperate (I mixed too hot, and it was an old FO), that I stirred back together in the mold (and ended up throwing away b/c it smelled yucky from the old FO.) Other than that, no problems. I think it helps that I use lard. I think lard is just a very well-behaved soaping oil. Also, I use full water.

But you do that BECAUSE you know what works - through trial and error and practice. Why do you sometimes put your soap in the oven, and sometimes wrap it in towels?

To me - it all depends on the recipe and time of year.
So in my mind I go "well its a little cool in the house, but there is a little sugar in this soap, so I will put the lid on the batch in the wood mold with the lid on, but the silicon lid will be partly open to prevent condensation. The silicon mold will need a towel around the sides to keep the sides from cooling too fast. If I don't see a gel reaction in a couple hours Ill put them on the floor heater to bump them along".

Last edited:
If I'm using a tried and true recipe, I will check on the molded soap maybe 15-30 minutes after putting it to bed to see how it's doing, but I otherwise don't get too crazy about babysitting my soap.

But if I have any doubts, I do check on it a couple-three times just to see what's going on. I've had a few that I pulled out of my room-temp oven and set on the cool counter because I thought the soap was getting a bit too warm. I've had a few others that I put into a preheated, turned-off oven to give them a bit of extra warmth. The one I wrote about above that didn't gel ... I now wish I had decided to warm that one up. Next time!

When I CP I mix at 110-120 degrees. After pouring into the mold I cover with plastic wrap and towels. This has always produced full gel and no volcanoes for me. I notice it goes into gel faster if it's poured at a heavier trace.

Latest posts

Back