Playing with pictures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took a bunch of pictures the other night while learning how to use my Shotbox, a photography light box. The deep pink is Ashes of Roses, scented with First Blush, a nice rose. The other is my beer soap, scented with a nice essential oil blend. I need to get better backgrounds, the grass looks fake, other than that I like working with the box. I take terrible pictures, I need all the help I can get! :)

Attachments

• 20190217_210321.jpg
    20190217_210321.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190217_210421.jpg
    20190217_210421.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 67
I really struggle with soap photography but from the point of view of a buyer I don't understand the relevance of the soap on grass or with a rock wall behind it. Personally, I am not really into shots of soap outside. So I might just be biased.
Reeen4 is right in that I also find the background is very distracting.
It's not really inviting me to say: Wow, that looks nice! I want it.

If you look through browsing soap pics maybe you can come up with some ideas that you like. I like the really simple ones myself. Some have just a touch of "bathroom" but they always scream "clean".

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/browsing-soap-pics.51057/page-120

Last edited:
I also struggle with picture taking, but that's more due to lack of time than anything. And laziness.. So most my pics are in the kitchen where the lighting is bad and the wall is red lol

I think the trick to photography with a "busy" background is using manual mode and focusing on the soap. Or if you have an editor that can sort of blur the background cleanly.

Sometimes it works, sometimes just the plain white light box is enough. Also depends on the soap I think? I like the beer soap against the grass and stone more than the other for example.

But I like both soaps :D

Thank you all. I'm just playing. I am never going to try to sell my soaps online, I'm not taking pictures for customers, I'm taking them to learn and share. Plus I'm playing with something I've had for years but never used.

That rose is straight up gorgeous! You could photograph it in front of a live volcano and I'd only have eyes for the soap!

Latest posts

Back