Planning Halloween soap recipe...advice on ingredients I haven't used before?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawksquill

Reaction score
So I'm going to try a Halloween CP soap soon and I've been ordering some ingredients I've never used before! I'm trying to do my research but I'm not sure if any of these ingredients will have unintended side effects when used all together as opposed to individually.

I'll probably use a pretty standard recipe with CO, OO, sweet almond oil, cocoa butter, and castor oil.

I'll probably do some layers or attempt a swirl, nothing too fancy.

The new ingredients (all CP stable and from WSP)
-black oxide pigment powder
-orange mica
-cinnamon leaf EO
-blood orange EO

Planning to mix the mica with some of the sweet almond oil this time, and also mix the EO with some of the castor oil and corn syrup to anchor it. Will probably also add sodium lactate to cooled lye solution.

Does anyone see any problems with this or have suggestions for fun Halloween soaps? :)

The only issue/advice I can offer is to double check useage rates (cinnamon had a tendency to make itself known on sensitive bits and citrus doesn’t always stick). Also check for discoloration (don’t think either of those discolor but check reviews) it won’t matter with the black but I don’t know how vibrant that orange mica is supposed to be.

I'm just curious, how does castor oil and corn syrup anchor EO? Never heard such a thing so wondering. :) Your colorants should work just fine. I've never purchased micas from WSP so can't speak to how those are colorwise.

Okay. I’ve never found anything like those listed to help anchor scents unfortunately. Thanks for the links. I’ve actually used them all but not to anchor so was new to me.

and also mix the EO with some of the castor oil and corn syrup to anchor it.

are you sure you don't mean corn starch? I've never heard of corn syrup being used as an anchor but some people use clay or cornstarch, never heard of using castor oil as an anchor either :)

Back