piping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

younglivingmargo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
could someone help me please. I would like to make some piping for the tops of my soaps but i'm not sure what i'm doing.
I make cold process soap. I've watched videos on utube and I've been reading this forum but I'm still lost. I'm not sure
whether i should whip the soap for piping or whether i should just wait for my cold process soap to harden up a bit and
then pipe with that. ( I never made whipped soap so not shore about this process ).
Any help in this area is very much appreciated thankyou.

soaping friend down under, Margo

You should use whipped soap if you want to be able to make piping. It has a lot of air in it which makes it more fluffy and easier to squeeze out through the nozzle. Ordinary CP soap is hard to get out of the piping bag again.

I tried it once, and you can see the result here:
http://soapmakingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30303&p=272937&hilit=cupcake#p272937

I think a part of the trick is to get the biggest nozzle you can get your hands on - preferably in stainless streel.

Use one of those cake batter hand mixers; they whip a lot of air into the soap. Don't oven process a soap with whipped tops as it may collapse. All you do is whip the soap then treat it like frosting. I've had lots of success piping rebatch soap (without whipping) then pouring a layer of fresh CP, repeat, repeat... to create a pattern that looked like embeds. You can even use just a ziploc bag with the corner snipped off to pipe soap, it won't have a fancy shape to it though.

I just use regular cp that I've let sit in the piping bag while the cupcakes set up a bit.

Thank you ladies for your replies. Its always exciting when I open up my computer and find someone out there in soap making land willing
to help me thru the hurdles.
I have tried these techniques you all talk about but for whatever reason the piping just didn't turn out. I think now the trick is to let the CP really sit
for a while to firm up.
I'm now going into my kitchen to make a batch so I can pipe on top of this lovely block of soap I made last week. And when my daughter gets home I will ask her to
show me how I can up load some of my soap pictures.

Genny said:
I just use regular cp that I've let sit in the piping bag while the cupcakes set up a bit.
Thanks Genny for you help.
I was wondering if you have any pictures of yr soap online. I would love to see some of your work.
best wishes to you
Margo

sudbubblez said:
Use one of those cake batter hand mixers; they whip a lot of air into the soap. Don't oven process a soap with whipped tops as it may collapse. All you do is whip the soap then treat it like frosting. I've had lots of success piping rebatch soap (without whipping) then pouring a layer of fresh CP, repeat, repeat... to create a pattern that looked like embeds. You can even use just a ziploc bag with the corner snipped off to pipe soap, it won't have a fancy shape to it though.

Thanks for the advice sudbubblez. I have never made a HP soap yet I tend to stick to CP and a bit of Melt n Pour.
I'm going to make a small batch of CP now to top a beautiful block of soap I made the other day, but my next project might
just have to be a whipped soap just for the fun of trying something new.
best wishes to you
Margo

CamillaHB said:
You should use whipped soap if you want to be able to make piping. It has a lot of air in it which makes it more fluffy and easier to squeeze out through the nozzle. Ordinary CP soap is hard to get out of the piping bag again.

I tried it once, and you can see the result here:
http://soapmakingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30303&p=272937&hilit=cupcake#p272937

I think a part of the trick is to get the biggest nozzle you can get your hands on - preferably in stainless streel.

Thank you camillaHB for the tip. I read somewhere once that to get a good soap for piping you put in vegetable glycerine. Hav you ever heard that?
Would you use that because vegetable glycerine adds bubbles to a soap.
I'm not sure myself but i'm now going into the kitchen to make a small batch and i will put in VG and when its had a day or two to set I'll cut it up and
try and upload some pictures.
Thanks again.
best wishes to you
Margo

I personally just let my soap set up more and then pipe, I've never whipped my cp but I guess it really depends on the look your going for!!

Latest posts

Back