Pine Tar Soap Disaster!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OMG! I have never had a volcano that would not stir down ... until today. I decided to make Pine Tar soap today, and because I didn't like the sound of how quickly you have to work with CP, and because I only do HP anyway, I decided to give a try. As everyone has advised, I warmed the pine tar. I was debating on adding after cook or towards the end. I decided on "towards the end."

BIG BIG BIG mistake. I poured it in and started whisking by hand, everything seemed to be fine ... for the first couple of minutes. Suddenly, it was like a volcanic eruption, not just a normal volcano, oh no, this one went CRAZY. I couldn't stir it down ... I tried, but failed miserably. I finally stopped trying at one point and just watched the disaster take place.

Next time, I will try "after the cook."

Attachments

• 20231029_170822.jpg
    20231029_170822.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231029_170831.jpg
    20231029_170831.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231029_170840.jpg
    20231029_170840.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231029_170846.jpg
    20231029_170846.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Oh wow! I’ve never seen a 🌋 before. I wonder why it did that? I’ve never used pine tar before so I have no clue how to use it.

Last edited:
Oh wow! I’ve never seen a 🌋 before. I wonder why it did that? I’ve never used pibe tar before so I have no clue how to use it.
Lol, it was an experience for sure! I do HTHP, so volcanos happen. But never before like this one.

Ugh, so sorry. Not sure why that would have happened. Wish I could dispatch some clean-up faeries over to you...
Clean-up fairies would be awesome! Lol, clean-up should be tons of fun!

Luckily I'm OCD about wiping my counter over and over when I'm making soap. So I didn't feel bad about scraping it back into the cockpot. Added exfoliants, cedar eo, and some pine fragrance then plopped it into the mold.

It's honestly the funniest thing I've had happen while making soap!

Attachments

• 20231029_172720.jpg
    20231029_172720.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Oh my. All I have to offer is that disasters like this can be exciting and fun! Even though the clean-up is a PITA, the lesson learned is invaluable. Thank you SO much for sharing! It got my heart started this morning just reading through your process! 😁

I couldn't stir it down ... I tried, but failed miserably. I finally stopped trying at one point and just watched the disaster take place.
TIP: Have a few ounces of COLD water handy to dump in when that happens. It may (or may not, in this case) help to slow down the full volcano. Not sure.

Next time, I will try "after the cook."
Good thinking. :thumbs:
My first inclination is to encourage you to try CP. Mix the pine tar in with the rest of the oils and additives the night before soaping. The next morning, SB the room temp oils to fully incorporate everything. Then add your lye solution straight from the fridge where it has been chilling overnight to the room temp oils. Stir by hand and be ready to mold up quickly as soon as the reaction starts happening.

On the other hand, I found Grandma's Pine Tar 10-minute Hot Process Soap on YouTube. Recipe included. She saponifies the base first, then covers it with a plate for a bit (to allow it to go into gel I'm guessing) then adds the room temp PT when the batch has cooled down but is still malleable. Be patient. There's plenty of time to wait until the batch is cool enough to add the PT. Be sure to take note of the time.

Comment: I hate having to watch stick-blending until trace. BOOORING! FF to 5:30 to get to where she puts the plate on top. Lovely soap!

HAPPY SOAPING!

Last edited:
I warmed the pine tar.
Oopsie! Warm the pine tar to get it fluid but allow it to cool to 85°-90°F before adding it to the batch -- which also should be at that temp -- before adding the lye solution, also at that temp or below. Not sure you can do that in a crockpot?

Unless you melt your oils and then turn it off? Add the lye solution. Process with the heat off. Once it gels (and I'm guessing) under cover, stir it up and add the PT. Should work.

The only heat in the video linked above is to melt the oils. So, I'm not really sure she can call it "Hot Process"? Hmmm 🤔

Oopsie! Warm the pine tar to get it fluid but allow it to cool to 85°-90°F before adding it to the batch -- which also should be at that temp -- before adding the lye solution, also at that temp or below. Not sure you can do that in a crockpot?

Unless you melt your oils and then turn it off? Add the lye solution. Process with the heat off. Once it gels (and I'm guessing) under cover, stir it up and add the PT. Should work.

The only heat in the video linked above is to melt the oils. So, I'm not really sure she can call it "Hot Process"? Hmmm 🤔
Hmm... didn't check the temp on the pine tar. But it wasn't hotter than what was in the crackpot. I'm guessing if she is doing hp, it's very low temp. I'll have to watch the video after I get off work.

Wow. What a mess. Hope the clean up fairies 🧚‍♀️ made it over to help. How much pine tar did you use? I made a batch a couple months ago but only used 10% pine tar as I was skeered. 👻
lol, sadly the clean-up fairies did not show up. Guess they decided it was too big a project.

I used 20% pine tar. I don't think the problem was the pine tar though, I think it was the heat. I'm going to try it again at some point in the very near future but plan on having a bucket of ice-cold water nearby and making sure the pine tar is just warm enough to be somewhat fluid. lol

lol, sadly the clean-up fairies did not show up. Guess they decided it was too big a project.

I used 20% pine tar. I don't think the problem was the pine tar though, I think it was the heat. I'm going to try it again at some point in the very near future but plan on having a bucket of ice-cold water nearby and making sure the pine tar is just warm enough to be somewhat fluid. lol
Darn fairies just aren’t reliable. 😞
I look forward to hearing about your next batch.

I know, dang it. I was really looking forward to the help! lol

Finally got around to cutting it. It's still a bit too soft to clean it up, so pretty raw looking. It's very dark.

View attachment 75057
I like the color. Mine is more tan. This is the bar from my shower, pardon the poor photography. My soap room is out in the shop. It’s about 30 degrees outside and 9:30 at night…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back